[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poetry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Roses_Boutons_FR_2012.jpg (13KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
Roses_Boutons_FR_2012.jpg
13KB, 220x220px
Im trying to get into poetry. Where can i start? Reccomendations? Poems with rhyming and musicality to them please
>>
>>9839803
All good poetry is musical. Reading everything aloud will help you realize rhyme is just the loudest device.

Try Frost if you want something mild, and try Larkin if you want something angrier.
>>
Poetry and art in general is there to instil noble sentiments and intentions, rhyme and musicality is secondary to that and is akin to saying a song is good because it's catchy, it can still lack the alimentary material that art should effuse the soul with.
>>
tennyson is the goat for sound-mastery
>>
Get an anthology and find what you like
>>
File: 1494638233769.jpg (4MB, 2800x2800px) Image search: [Google]
1494638233769.jpg
4MB, 2800x2800px
>>9839803
>>
>>9839862
Which would you reccomend?
>>
>>9839873
I have and like Harold blooms, but the Norton one would be just as good from what I've seen.
>>
>>9839900
Okay thank you anon
>>
>>9839872
I usually hate lit charts but this one is actually really good
>>
The Rattle Bag
>>
We have this thread every two days. Op, if you don't know how to read poetry start with an entry level text book for the nuts and bolts of scansion, rhyme, enjambment, persona, etc. They use hundreds of good poems to illustrate each aspect of poetry and will take you through increasingly advanced topics. You can get an anthology, but then it might be hard for you to identify why you like what you like, talk about it in a meaningful way, or critically analyze and compare poems.
>>
>>9840125
I know how to analyze a poem, i just want some sources to read some more
>>
>>9839803
Does anybody have any recommendations for books to help with breaking into poetry and understanding the techniques and styles? Is "The Poetry Handbook" by John Lennard any good?
>>
>>9839900

Norton's more of a comprehensive overview while Bloom's more personal in his choices. I would suggest the Norton one over Bloom's because of that, but I still like Bloom
>>
>>9840574
I read poetic designs by Stephan Adams and it was useful.
>>
>>9840574
I used Helen Vendler's Poems, Poets, Poetry and I thought it was serviceable introduction.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.