[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Has anyone ever tried to make their own dust cover?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Dust_jacket.jpg (381KB, 556x570px)
Dust_jacket.jpg
381KB, 556x570px
sorry if this isn't really the right place to ask but I figured someone here might have tried this before. I have a few books on my shelf that got really shafted when published in english as far as looks go and I want to cover them in something more like what their original run had. I figure making a new jacket would be fairly easy, it's just a matter of finding a high quality inkjet paper that wouldn't crack when bent. Any suggestions?
>>
>>9839270
had to for design school.
any paper you like will do- the folds aren't sharp, so cracking shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>9839290
The only papers I've ever used are photographic which usually crack when bent (not that I'd use that kind of paper). Other than that I've just printed dollar posters at staples. Do you remember what you used?
>>
>>9839352
90 weight probably. It wasn't anything special. Any heavy matte paper will work. If you're looking for something really fancy, then I suggest going to a printers, where us students spent most of our money. Depending on the quality of the shop, they'll have a variety of papers you can choose from- color, feel, weight etc. Might cost a little, but not a lot, and if you're jonesing for that professional feel without a lot of experience, then that's probably the best bet.
>>
File: 640x960.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
640x960.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>9839270
What about laminating them in plastic like library books? I have done this to a few books, and it looks pretty good.
>>
>>9839437
Huh. Well, at some point, the residue ends up collect dust and dirt and lint along the edges which I don't enjoy personally- or is that just because hundreds of people handle the book?
>>
>>9839460
I don't think that this happens to private books. My dad has a few well read thirty year old laminate books, and they are all in good condition without any dirt or lint on or underneath the plastic.
>>
>>9839466
Ah, okay, cool. Do you just use laminate sheets, or?
>>
>>9839437
wouldn't that be a bit think? I don't know much about laminating but the stuff I generally see is very heavy and whites a bit when bent.
>>
>>9839425
thanks for the tips!
>>
>>9839474
Yes, I do. Sorry for le late reply. >>9839624
You're right. I still think it looks good though.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.