[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternative education

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 9ng2dyvy-1411534786.jpg (650KB, 926x893px) Image search: [Google]
9ng2dyvy-1411534786.jpg
650KB, 926x893px
Since there is no /edu/ and you guys are the best ones to talk to here, I'm going to post this here.

Has anyone experience with (or at least something to say to) the Correspondence Courses offered by he University of Oxford?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/continuing-education/online-and-distance-courses

I'm thinking about studying literature and history through this program but I ain't sure about the advantages it will bring me, plus, it's not exactly cheap.
>>
>>9839149
you can be less formal about it

http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses
coursera
great courses streaming is cheap
edx

Of course you wont get a degree, but you are getting an alternative education, and if you want to study in more depth including writing prompts most of the professors will respond to your emails.

I do a course a month or so, and make an attempt to read some of the core books of the bibliographies if they are on libgen or whatever.
>>
>>9839164
This is good, thanks.

have you by any chance tried the Civil war course on Great Courses? It's on sale right now but the overwhelmingly good reviews in contrast to the two very bad ones makes me skeptic
>>
>>9839231
Its ok, I like the guy well enough, but he definitely focuses on his favorite generals.

pirate it or get the streaming service, individual courses are for institutions
>>
Anyone got experiences with Khan Academy?
>>
>>9839337
>>9839164

I never visited a college.

Would you guys say that an autodidactic approach through books and online courses like those mentioned above can equal a "real" education? Except for the degree, obviously.
>>
>>9839509
I did go to college, the courses offered on those sites was more rigorous than an undergrad in history at a state university, which btw did not lead to a job for me.

That said if you are seeking an accreditation or an associates in something practical like nursing, or something with a lot of instructor interaction like teaching, no.
>>
>>9839337
Kahn is great, using it for learning maths. The issue here is that learning by yourself makes you realize how many hours it takes to actually be knowledgeable in anything. Just spend wisely your time while you are young
>>
>>9839991
I checked out the American History section on Khan and it appears to be neatly organized and professional.

Thing is, I can't gauge its quality. Is it biased? Sophisticated?

I mean, where do they get all the content from and what am I in for if i invest time to learn with that product?
>>
>>9839149

This is in no way shape or form 'the best' place with 'the best' people to ask about self education. Get ideas, sure. But form your own plan. After actually reading some books, its hard to even browse this board. People type and think so poorly.
>>
>>9841327
I was refering to 4Chan
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.