[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts about the Cyberpunk subgenre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: cyberpunk.jpg (701KB, 1600x880px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk.jpg
701KB, 1600x880px
Thoughts about the Cyberpunk subgenre?
>>
It's alright. Some of my favorite works are cyberpunk but I dont have a big fetish for it. Half the time its just an aesthetic.
>>
>>9839076
It has produced very readable quality books, even the better titles aren't that good.

It also got everything wrong, reading earlier titles cause secondhand embarrassment towards the authors.
>>
>>9839076

Not much of a genre when only two books are worth reading.
>>
>>9839106
>It has produced very few readable quality books
Accidentally missed a word.
>>
>>9839125
It's Snow Crash and Neuromancer, right?
>>
Is Diamond Age a good book?
>>
>>9839076
Makes for better vidya than literature to be honest
>>
>>9839166
>vidya

I can't name a single cyberpunk video game apart from that uncompleted Cyberpunk 2077 one. Actually, I can't name a lot of movies either. It's a generally very unpresented subgenre
>>
File: MFW.jpg (42KB, 770x887px) Image search: [Google]
MFW.jpg
42KB, 770x887px
>>9839201
>I can't name a single cyberpunk video game apart from that uncompleted Cyberpunk 2077 one
>>
>>9839076
Great aesthetic, similar to dieselpunk and steampunk. But very few praiseworthy works have been set within it.
That's the consistent problem with these ______punk settings. A great, novel setting that's yet to see a great execution of it.
>>
>>9839201
>>9839210

Dex is pretty fun.
>>
>>9839133

You know it youngblood.
>>
Overhyped shit
>>
I like it. Love the aesthetic, love the mood. I feel like later on within the life of the subgenre those two things came to the forefront and what was forgotten about was the inherent class critique that made the original set of media so appealing.
>>
>>9839343
>the inherent class critique that made the original set of media so appealing
Apart from It was classist as fuck and assumed the absolute worst of the underclass.
>>
>>9839201
Deus Ex (the original one is the best but Human Revolution is a worthwhile game too)
System Shock and System Shock 2 (It's SS2 that everyone knows well and although it's got a steep learning curve, it's more accessible than the first game, both are fantastic though)
Syndicate Plus
UFO Franchise (the precursor to Xcom)

They're the ones that come to mind for me. If you like vidya, anon, I think you'll enjoy these quite a bit.
>>
>>9839370
xcom
good call

>ywn play 20s/30s era heideggerian/tesla-inspired retro-xcom & battle diesel-steampunk insectoid clockwork proto-accelerationist monstrosities trying to steal Muh Being
>i blame nick land for this
>well actually maybe you will
>but it will probably take a while before that happens
>>
>>9839353
I don't think that's true at all.
>>
Cyberpunk was the dream of boring upper middle class nerds with more Cognitive biases than /pol/ and reddit combined.

Ever wondered why the "popular" cyberpunk authors like Stephenson and Gibson was relevant on private welfare from Magic Leap and Musk.
>>
>>9839391
It absolutely did, it automatically assumed the poorer a person was the less cultured they were, which backfired when the crowds they ran with back in the 60's and 70's produced kids who think drinking latte from a avocado is the principle of culture.
>>
I really dig the aesthetic. Have read and enjoyed Gibson's Sprawl trilogy (though Mona Lisa Overdrive was a brbof a letdown), Mirrorshades (the quality ranges but the good stories are damn good), and Snow Crash. Been meaning to check out some Egan, Bear, Effinger, Shirley, as well as more from Stephenson and Gibson.
>>
>>9839409
I read it somewhat differently. In much of cyberpunk we are exposed to a duality. Our focal point is ground level, the dirt, the crime, the uncultured as you put itetc, this is what sets apart cyberpunk from the grander more mainstream sci-fi of its day. The other side of the coin are the upper classes who we aren't subject to within said narrative all too often but their image, their essence weighs heavy over the narrative and the world. It is precisely because we are situated where we are within these stories that this duality is felt. How do people go about their day to day lives within such a class divided society. I think that's the inherent question. So perhaps you're right, cyberpunk doesn't necessarily have the most favourable outlook on its focus. That said, I think it's a structural critique more than anything.
>>
>>9839394
cyberpunk was a rebellion against the Larry Niven School of Hard SF, just like punk was a rebellion against the Bee Gees. and just like punk, cyberpunk was assimilated and bought out.

/thread
>>
>>9839201
Shadowrun is pretty good. Doesn't take itself too seriously.
>>
>>9839756
That's more of a setting rather than an actual videogame even though it does have some good videogames.
>>
>>9839798
It isn't a good rpg either, it's a badly designed mess.
>>
Schway af
>>
>>9839816
Dragonfall Director's cut and Hong Kong fix all the problems from the first game.
>>
>>9839826
Shadowrun the tabletop not the fucking video game, Jesus Anon.
>>
File: 132694.jpg (27KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
132694.jpg
27KB, 317x475px
I don't often see this one mentioned, but it's very good, if anyone's looking for something to read.

Arab set cyberpunk.
>>
>>9839830
Excuse me, the videogames are also rpgs just not tabletop. Jesus, anon.
>>
>>9839756
>let's take Gibson's world and make a tabletop RPG in it!
>uhh isn't that copyright infringement?
>oh shit you're right... let's add magic and dragons to it
>genius!
>>
>>9839831
You liked it? I thought it was crap.
>>
>>9839857
It really was.
>>
>>9839863
I mean, I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't like it.
>>
>>9839133
>>9839264
Good stuff my dudes.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.