[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Death

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: grandma-b-1.jpg (22KB, 281x337px) Image search: [Google]
grandma-b-1.jpg
22KB, 281x337px
Hi /lit/, I have a request. Please don't laugh at me but.. Any books or philosophers on how do I cope with the fact that my mother will die someday? I am not religious.

Thank you..
>>
The Bible
>>
>>9832516
Are you looking for books detailing how to deal with the feelings accompanying death, or books to read as a means of dealing with said feelings?
>>
>>9832533
I'm not sure i'm understanding you, but I think the second one might be more close. It's not only about the feelings, but also about the... comprehension of such a dark certainty that is going to happen soon.
>>
>>9832516
Dubliners begins with a literal death, and many of the stories in the book discuss related themes (loss of innocence, refusal to be saved, etc.). It'll help you process the emotions, but it won't give you conclusive answers.
>>
You're not looking for philosophy, you're looking for self-help.

http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-a-Parent%27s-Death

Here you go.
>>
>>9832547
Thank you friend, I'll check it out
>>
>>9832555
Sorry if my thread was missplaced. I thought that I should try to understand this as thoroughly as possible and that perhaps some philosophers or writers had interesting points of view.
>>
>>9832542
Basically, are you looking for books about what feelings you're going to experience, or are you looking for something to distract you from those feelings
>>
>>9832779
The first one
>>
>>9832516
>I am not religious
dropped
>>
>>9832816
Yeah, then you're gonna want self-help books. You probably won't find much in terms of recommendations for that here. Self-help books all tend to say the same thing from topic to topic, so which you decide to choose boils down to whatever it is you're looking for help with. In this case, I'm sure you could go to your local bookstore or Amazon, type in something like "Coping with Loss", "Dealing with Death of a Loved One", etc. and whatever comes up would work for you. Just read the info about the books in question and pick whichever one(s) you feel will help you most.

Sorry you're going through this, but at the end of the day, none of us make it out alive. Not much in terms of consolation, but it's an inevitability best faced head-on. Good luck.
>>
I'm interested as well. Myself and many friends at the truckstop have been gang railing OP's mom for several years now, we're going to be pretty broke up when she dies.
>>
Go read Seneca's Consolations, OP.
>>
Plato's Apology or Phaedo
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.