[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Romanticism/ General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0018.jpg (324KB, 1232x910px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0018.jpg
324KB, 1232x910px
Who is your favorite poet and why?
>>
Blake and Yeats

I like my floruishing mysticsm
>>
Blake because I love his creativity and imagination. His mythology is fascinating to study and his personal or visionary world is inspiring to me.
>>
Keats
Also how come Goethe loved Byron so much, but nowadays people generally prefer Keats and Shelley?
>>
>>9832429
Because Byron had an insane political life that brought him further fame. Now nobody thinks of it because we're so removed from the romantic spirit, but he really embodied his time's dedication to heroism.
>>
Blake and Coleridge
Blake because of his creative mythology and incorporation of art with his writing
Coleridge because he was my first Romantic poet (Rime of the Ancient Mariner)
>>
>>9832381
Is there like a big book I can buy that just has all the great romantic poems in it? instead of having to buy the complete works of each author
>>
>>9832381
Probably Byron, Blake, Coleridge, or Yeats.
>>
File: yeats2.jpg (16KB, 332x440px) Image search: [Google]
yeats2.jpg
16KB, 332x440px
>Once out of nature I shall never take
>My bodily form from any natural thing,
>But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
>Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
Whatever the fuck the he mean by this?
>>
Goethe because Faust II is the best poem of the 19th century

Shelley because even though his verse isn't as structurally immaculate as Keats' he hit heights of heart breaking lyricism when he was in the zone that none of the other Anglo romantics ever reached

also,
>/romanticism/
> Yeats

nigga romanticism had been dead for half a century when yeats started writing. i get where this is coming from but still, he's way outside any reasonable temporal upper boundary (mid 19th C) and *quite* different from the likes of Byron, Coleridge, Wordsworth, Keats...

>>9832609
a norton anthology is a good primer

it wont have everything though, so the answer to your question is technically "no"
>>
>>9832727
I think you put too much stock in the temporality of authors. Otherwise you wouldn't have called Goethe romantic.
>>
>>9832609

I don't know if you fell for the bookshelf meme or not, but the oxford complete works edition of the romantic poets have pretty god-tier covers, save for Keats's edition, where the penguins cover is better.
>>
Wordsworth
>>
Keats niggas!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>9832785
Faust II is the apotheosis and capstone of romanticism

inb4 muh weimar classicism
>>
>>9832429
was Goethe even familiar with Keats or Shelley?

you have to keep in mind that Byron was an international celebrity; Keats and Shelley were comparatively obscure
>>
>>9832785
Goethe is considered a romantic author. Sorrows of Young Werther is one of the main texts that jumpstarts romanticism..
>>
File: IMG_2839.jpg (132KB, 639x430px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2839.jpg
132KB, 639x430px
Lord bryan is overrated; it is known
>>
>>9833604
>>9833779
Jumpstarts yeah. But Goethe lacked the dialectical tendency and absolute fixation of the rest of German romanticism. He was pagan through and through.
>>
>>9832381
Ernest Dowson; underrated.
>>
For the Blake readers: how much of his mythology is "original"? I would like to digg in raw, but I suspect I'd need a strong familiarity with Dante and Milton in particular. Or am wrong about this, viz his mythology stands on its own?
>>
>>9833906
it doesnt. dig into dante
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.