[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you like Pynchon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4292.png (9KB, 234x294px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4292.png
9KB, 234x294px
I've read V., Inherent Vice, TCoL49, and Slow Learner. I started GR eleven times or so.

I do not like his work. I think he loosely connects a hodgepodge of themes and explores them through 2D characters and obvious plots ("hurr durr where's the rocket, hurr durr where's the woman, hurr durr what's the Golden Fang, etc.")

Why do you likey him? What am I missing?
>>
>>9831991
>What am I missing?

a brain and good taste

sage!
>>
>>9832108
Too many 16-year-olds on this board
>>
>>9831991
>going to a prose stylist for the plot
>going to a prose stylist for the characters
>going to a prose stylist for anything but prose

You're reading for the wrong things, friendo. Pynchon is good because his prose is good, and because he comes up with genuinely funny shit, which is hard to do on the page. He also applies tools like stream-of-consciousness very effectively to scenarios they weren't originally designed for (see the "kenosha kid" section of GR). It's about the beauty of it all.
>>
>>9832908
this

and that selection of 4 books is rather unfortunate, even though the first two aren't bad in their own way you haven't read any of his best
>>
>>9832908
>prose stylist
>best part of his books are characters and scene development
his prose is just okay. his appeal is in his ludicrous scenarios.
>>
>>9831991
>loosely connects a hodgepodge of themes

I disagree. He has very discernible themes with obvious messages to them.

I agree that his characters are cartoons, but if you want to give Pynchon one more shot, read Mason & Dixon for a genuinely moving friendship.
>>
>>9833021
This I will do
>>
File: image.png (222KB, 249x459px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
222KB, 249x459px
>>9833007
>his prose is just okay

A-and we have a pleb
>>
>>9833343
>carrots meme
you tell yourself that. pynchon is a cartoonist. not a prose stylist. his ability is to render warner bros cartoons. i wouldnt doubt that very meme you just used was created by the pynch himself.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.