[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>When Plato gave Socrates's definition of man as "featherless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Diogenes-Final.jpg (1MB, 2400x1762px) Image search: [Google]
Diogenes-Final.jpg
1MB, 2400x1762px
>When Plato gave Socrates's definition of man as "featherless bipeds" and was much praised for the definition, Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man." After this incident, "with broad flat nails" was added to Plato's definition.
Was Diogenes a postmodernist?
>>
>>9831684
im redpilled white nationalism
>>
>>9831684
wtf no. He was a cynic, maybe an absurdist by modern definitions, but I can't think of anything remotely post-modern about his philosophy. Post-modernism requires distance, in order to be able to compare your society against another. Even at the height of alexander's empire, i really doubt Diogenes had the ability to adopt a relativist position on his own culture and others.
>>
>>9831696
im the dog with no neck that isn't cool enuff to hang with diogenes dogs
>>
>>9831733
Relativism predates Plato and Diogenes. Sophists like Protagoras were promulgating relativism back in the 5th century BC.
>>
>>9831780
>Protagoras
hadn't read about him before, but his relativism seems restricted to personal feelings between people, and not a relativism between cultures. I'm guessing like most good greek citizens of the era, he considered the rest of the world to be sub-human barbarians.

Post-modernism is a deep skepticism towards modern society and it's technologies, governmental methods, social norms because of the ability to posit a subject outside of one's own culture. I just really doubt this was very possible in Diogenes era.
>>
File: sophists.png (89KB, 826x801px) Image search: [Google]
sophists.png
89KB, 826x801px
Reminder that Plato and his followers were hacks
>>
>>9831684
>Diogenes
The mot Reddit philosopher, but you gotta love him.
>>
>>9831852
>hadn't read about him before
If you haven't read about the pre-Socratics, then you can't really make blanket statements about the sort of positions a philosopher was able to espouse at the time. Herodotus (who also predates Plato) wrote about barbarians in an uncharacteristically honest manner, and made a few relativistic observations. Sophists were basically post-modernists.
>>
>>9831890

So basically, the only line between Sophism and post-modernism is irony? Sophists never appeared to be as tongue-in-cheek as what we have today, insofar as what we have available to read.
>>
>>9831890
>If you haven't read about the pre-Socratics, then you can't really make blanket statements about the sort of positions a philosopher was able to espouse at the time. Herodotus (who also predates Plato) wrote about barbarians in an uncharacteristically honest manner, and made a few relativistic observations. Sophists were basically post-modernists.

I've read a bit about the pre-socratics, but more importantly I feel I've read enough about Cynicism and Post-Modernism to know they aren't the same thing.

Cynicism doesn't go whole hog in believing that there is no single truth or objective position from which to start philosophy. Both Cynicism and Post-modernism share some similarities in their rejection of social norms and traditions and skepticism towards formalist knowledge, but post-modern relativism requires a globalist consciousness, an ability to see one's culture from the outside. I also don't think you can arrive at the character of post-modern philosophy without technological catastrophes like the atomic bomb and the holocaust. Post-modern skepticism is rooted in the idea that modernist utopianism is dangerous on an existential level. Cynical skepticism is rooted in the idea that formalist and idealist systems are simply foolish and inaccurate.

I know there are plenty of similarities between the ideologies, but there are some pretty huge differences, so I don't think I could agree with

>Sophists were basically post-modernists.

Which is also a confusing statement, because OP was asking if Diogenes is a post-modernist, which I don't think he is either.
>>
>>9831684
ITT: reddit discusses greek philosophy
>>
>>9831859
Severely underrated.
>>
>>9831890

You literally can't be post-modern without modernism. I mean, the post-modernists weren't deconstructing Celtic Britain were they? No, its a Western theory that only applies to the modern West.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.