[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading The Bible. Thinking after I finish the Pentateuch I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: moses.jpg (2MB, 1200x1118px) Image search: [Google]
moses.jpg
2MB, 1200x1118px
Reading The Bible. Thinking after I finish the Pentateuch I'll skip to the Gospels.

What do you think? Enough context? Otherwise, I'll forge ahead into the Histories.
>>
>>9829153
>virgin detected
>>
>>9829153
dont skip parts
>>
>>9829160
I don't mean permanently. I mean I'll read the rest after the Gospels.
>>
>>9829153
You should read the New testament before the old one, pleb.
>>
>>9829164
Why is that?
>>
>>9829153
I have been reading the King James Version and plan on reading from cover to cover. You should not skip anything because Jesus makes references to other prophets in the Gospels. You will miss important figures such as David, Solomon, Elijah, Job, Jonah, and so on with your reading plan. Elijah in particular is right up there with Moses in importance and he appears during the transfiguration.
>>
>>9829153
Depends. If you want a proper background to what the Gospels say, you really need to read the histories and prophets. A lot of the New Testament is inspired by Israelite ideas of divinely-ordained kingship, priesthood, and apocalypticism.
>>
There are just as many forward references (e.g. prophesy) as backwards (e.g. fulfillment), if not more.
Isiah will not make much sense without the NT, but you'll miss much of the Gospels without the OT.
Best to read an Bible overview before you continue, then the Gospels, then whatever piques your interest in the rest of the Bible, coming back to the Gospels again when you've read most of the important stuff.
I'd also recommend reading a few Psalms/Proverbs a day along with your other reading instead of reading through each of them continuously as books, which could be a pain.
>>
pathetic
>>
cover to cover or G T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>9830409
>Isiah will not make much sense without the NT
It makes sense, the original context of the first 39 chapters is Isaiah disapproving of idolatry in Judah, his opposition to Judahite alliances with foreign powers, and prophesies of Judah's restored fortunes after the war with Assyria. The remaining chapters are about the return from exile, proclamations against Babylon, and a Davidic king ruling a restored kingdom (interpretation of which became messianic as Judaism developed apocalyptic beliefs, which is where the Christians came in).
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.