[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do all writers smoke?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_m9uaqbTHpj1r6yhsro1_1280.jpg (758KB, 1000x1236px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9uaqbTHpj1r6yhsro1_1280.jpg
758KB, 1000x1236px
Why do all writers smoke?
>>
>>9827075
emotional problems
>>
fred flintstone got to them
>>
>>9827075
DFW chewed.
>>
>>9827075
anxiety, need to constantly put something in the mouth doing whatever they were/are doing
>>
I don't.
>>
Because up until very recently everybody smoked
>>
>>9827275
This is the correct answer
>>
>>9827075
Highly creative individuals who are in constant engagement with their work (in and away from the studio/typewriter/etc) find it very difficult to 'switch off', often resulting in a fatigued mind. A cigarette is a unique form of meditation and rest for some; it's consumption visually depicts the passage of time for an allocated span, allowing the smoker to 'reset' mentality with an added boost from the stimulation of nicotine.
>>
>>9827501
Interesting. Does the idea of smoking for a rest from constant creative thoughts also apply to smoking for a rest from general neuroticism?
>>
because nicotine is a mental stimulant and a sedative. if you're working long hours at a desk there's nothing more relaxing.
>>
>>9827525
Probably, it's a subconscious process and habitual, closely interwoven with addiction as well.
>>
>>9827643
I never understood this. I've tried smoking both cigarettes and cigars, and neither gave me any kind of noticeable mental change. Seemed like less of a high than even caffeine would give me. Do you think that I'm just weird and don't notice the effects very much, or do you think nicotine only actually produces such strong effects on people who are already addicted, and what they're really feeling is the satisfaction of cravings?
>>
>>9827857
if you've only tries smoking once or twice you probably just weren't inhaling the nicotine.
>>
>>9827075
helps you think while you do nothing but sit in a room and write
>>
Because it's easy to romanticize like depression and alcoholism.

>>9827857
Don't listen to these pseuds. You don't feel anything the first few times you smoke a cigarette except a shitty flavor and a sudden headrush.

>>9827501
>>9827822
>>9827643
>
>>
>>9827857
Idk man, sometimes when I haven't had a cigarette in a while and I have one it's like pure euphoria for a few seconds. Sort of like a mini cocaine high. Your body might not have adapted to experience this yet. Smoke for longer.
>>
>>9827883
>Don't listen to these pseuds. You don't feel anything the first few times you smoke a cigarette except a shitty flavor and a sudden headrush.
I've never been a smoker but I'll take a drag off a friend's cigarette every once in a while and I don't know how you can say you don't feel anything it's almost so overpowering I nearly puke.
>>
Here's the smoking redpill:

http://smokingsides.com/docs/whysmoke.html
>>
>>9827965
Halfway through this and I've never wanted a cigarette more in my life
>>
>>9827950
>it's almost so overpowering

Yeah, that's what I was hoping to say with the headrush. What I meant was, you don't feel anything GOOD or satisfying at first. It's only when you're addicted that you begin to feel "relief of stress" after smoking, as noted by this guy >>9827894
literally encouraging OP to smoke more to feel the benefits of smoking.
>>
>>9828002
transcend addiction
>>
>>9828020
i disagree, even as it's making me sick the headrush is a really nice feeling like a mild marijuana high
>>
>>9827075
There's very few occupations lower than selling your AIDS-addicted ass to octogenarian homoperverts in back alleys, but shilling for tobacco companies on anonymous Internet forums must certainly be one.
>>
>>9827075
Just anecdotally, but I've found it's really common in stressful intellectually demanding jobs.
Suppose it serves as a form of meditation that allows you to focus your mental energy on a simple task for ten minutes to clear your mind.

Just mind opinion.
>>
>>9827158
he smoked for a while tho senpai desu
>>
>>9827075
because they don't fear death or care too much if they have six pack abs like little faggots do
>>
What amuses me the most is that i see all these old writers smoking all the time and they lived to be around 70 years old. I don't think i've heard any of them die from smoking, while statistics say smoking is very lethal.
>>
>>9827894
Was heavily addicted to smoking. Sometimes I would starve myself of cigarette and not smoke all day at work. Then come home and that cigarette was 5 minutes of cascading dopamine.
>>
>>9829136
Quality of tobacco, amount of pesticides used/processing, how much you smoke and genetics all play a part.
>>
>>9828129
You're a paranoid schizophrenic
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.