[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beckett's Trilogy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Beckett[1].jpg (231KB, 1153x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Beckett[1].jpg
231KB, 1153x1600px
So let's talk about this a bit. I'm currently reading The Unnamable after being mind-blown by Molloy and Malone Dies. The books are fantastically written and are enjoyable and relatable even though they are really cryptic and puzzling.

It seems to be quite personal and almost autobiographical since the voices of the narrators in the trilogy are quite similar, with similar logic of thinking and perceiving the world around them. Currently it all looks to me like Beckett is trying to demonstrate his particular emotional states through these characters, solve them and/or come to terms with. The Unnamable seems to be the most personal since I find some allusions to the creative process. It also seems inspired by poststructuralist philosophy, which wouldn't be that off since a) he's French and b) he is a postmodern writer after all, both chronologically and stylistically.

What is your take on this trilogy? Is The Unnamable = Malone after he died? Is Beckett the narrator in all three novels? WW2 induced PTSD?
Elaborate.
>>
>>9825874

>since a) he's French

kek.

he's irish. lived in france and wrote in french.
>>
>>9825901
hahahahahaha that's what I meant, sorry
>>
>>9825874
>WW2 induced PTSD?
I don't think so. He hid in Southern France for most of the war, being wanted for helping the Resistance (by typing little messages and passing them on) and in the immediate aftermath of the war he drove an ambulance for a hospital. Hardly PTSD inducing stuff. Never saw any fighting.
The letters he wrote to friends later on are another indication. He almost never mentions the war or anything connected to it.
>>
It's obvious that while he was writing the Unnameable the narrator is at least at times Beckett. It doesn't sound like he is yet in Molloy though.
>>
>>9826010
This is useful, I haven't read almost any of his letters. Thanks.
>>
>>9826130
Well I don't know really. People find Molloy and Moran to be really quite similar, but somehow I am feeling a larger difference between those two rather than the Unammable and Molloy. Not sure.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.