[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are almost every great writers depressed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 41e-1.jpg (188KB, 680x1388px) Image search: [Google]
41e-1.jpg
188KB, 680x1388px
Is it a pre-requisite to writing great, profound literature. What is it about depression that makes author's more able to capture the most profound aspects of the human experience in their writing?
>>
Suicide is for faggots and retards. How dumb do you have to be to not appreciate how lucky you are to be alive.
>>
Just cheer up, bro.
>>
>>9825829
Actually, it was proven that depression is not the root of great works. Rather, a result of it
Because great men of science and art focuses too much on the voices on their head, their social and spiritual health gets neglected causing not only depression but also anxiety, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, and other mental problems
>>
>>9825868
Nah mate, scientists (real scientists - STEM, not the social science muh feels stuff) rarely are mentally ill. Writers are usually deranged because fiction is degenerate and contributes nothing to society. That and the habitual drug addiction.
>>
File: 424378_v1.jpg (220KB, 550x750px) Image search: [Google]
424378_v1.jpg
220KB, 550x750px
>>9825890
Obsession is the root of madness
>>
>>9825829
No. People like that association because it's convenient. Either it's sour grapes over being creatively bankrupt, or miserable NEETs coping with being """"hyperintellectual"""" failures.

For every depressed creative there's one that's not depressed. For every depressed creative there's one that's not creative.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/02/myth-of-the-neurotic-creative/471447/
>>
>>9825829
Read The Outsider by Colin Wilson
>>
>>9825829
Depression is often brought forth by thinking to much about things you shouldn't be thinking about just like insight. They stem form the same cause but they are not necessary related.
Depression requires a neurotic predisposition and insight requires intelligence.
>>
>>9825829
The more intelligent you are the more likely you are to be depressed because you're thinking a lot.
>>
To analyze is to destroy. When you build it back, only a few bother to build cathedrals.
>>
>>9825829
Well the thing is, at least I've noticed it with myself, that you tend to observe a lot and make up WHAT IF scenarios in your head that just derail completely out of rational thought.

It happens a lot when I'm out with friends and we are talking about random stuff, that I just get a completely different idea about that scenario in my head, to the point where I make my own stories out of it.

I think it's just that you overthink everything you possible can all the time, which kind of paralayses your normal flow of thought. Now imagine being in a bad state of mind for a few years and it's just a snowball effect, until you start deconstructing your own past life, present life and future life + everything anyone has ever said or done to you, and with their life.

I've also observed myself having a lot of suicidal thoughts in past, but I did never think about really commiting a suicide. I was more intrigued by the idea of how it feels, what goes through your mind, etc.. but not in the act alone.

Don't know what else to say, I think it's important to be really depressed and suicidal at one point in your life (even though I don't wish this to anyone), because once you'll come out of it, you will be able to see life in general from a different perspective (usually more bad, than good, but you can learn from the experience).
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.