[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was a bigger cuck Tom Buchanan or George Wilson?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Tom Buchanan.jpg (38KB, 399x503px) Image search: [Google]
Tom Buchanan.jpg
38KB, 399x503px
Who was a bigger cuck Tom Buchanan or George Wilson?
>>
File: 1346149539685.cached.jpg (191KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1346149539685.cached.jpg
191KB, 1200x800px
Tom, obviously

Wilson:
>Was cucked by a man richer than he was thousands of times over
>His wife was a materialistic whore who easily fell prey to Tom
>Wilson was too dense to even realize that his wife was cheating until the end of the book, and as soon as he found out, he did something about it by forcing her to move out west
>Thinking that Gatsby was the man who cucked him, he immediately responds by going to Gatsby's house and killing him
>His only flaws overall were being dumb and poor, and killing himself

Tom:
>Cucked by a deceitful fancypants dandy who was so much of a pussy himself that he moved to New York and fabricated a lavish persona to get senpai to notice him, but still wouldn't fucking talk to her until Nick came along and set the meeting up for him
>Has a passive agressive catfight with his cuckould in a hotel room and only confronts him straight up when he's pushed to the absolute edge
>His own mistress is run over by his wife and her boyfriend
>The closest thing to decisive action he does is to trick Wilson into killing Gatsby
>In the end wife comes back to him as if nothing ever happens; just takes it on the chin and doesn't kick Daisy out
>>
>>9824152
someone should reply to me because I'm very right about this
>>
>>9824152
Everything about Tom is frustrating to someone who has a sense of justice and decency.
>>
>>9824237

If you think he got away with it, he is a Top five character in literature who deserved punishment but didn't get it

But if you consider himself a man stuck with a trophy wife who is only with him for the money and whom the prime years of his life ended when he got of college, then its not so frustrating.
>>
>>9824407
Nah. They're perfect for each other. Like Nick says, they share a lifestyle that involves chewing up other people and spitting them out. Her relationship with Gatsby is the superficial one, her and Tom's marriage is more like a model relationship within the sphere of a really fucked up class of people
>>
>>9824856

I get what you are saying, but at no point is it shown that either is actually happy. You may be right in that they are psychologically dependent in some ways like two crack heads can work together and enable each other but there is no happiness between them for what its worth and they know it
>>
>>9824058

Tom was too racially aware to be a cuck.
>>
>>9824886
You're right, they're definitely unhappy. The hotel maid story is for sure meant to signal that there isn't any real happiness in their marriage. I don't think it's fair to say that Tom is past his prime and living with a trophy wife who married him for his money, though. You could make a B- argument for the first part, I think, but Daisy isn't a trophy wife. Part of my point was that them being married to each other, unlike Daisy being with Gatsby, is the most lateral relationship possible. The other part was that neither of them would have been happier long term with anyone else besides each other
>>
>>9824904
No way bro. While he had his eyes on the blacks, a white peasant crept up and stole his wife. Classically naïve white supremacist, he focuses so much on the rising tide of color that he ignores the genetic inferiors in his own backyard
>>
>>9824924
>I don't think it's fair to say that Tom is past his prime

I think there is a quote in the story where Nick specifically remarks that Tom's one of those guys where his glory days are of his youth playing football. Despite his richness his happiest time is clearly behind and the story through time indicates this.

He's like a rich Al Bundy if you get that reference.

I'll see if I can find the passage.

> The other part was that neither of them would have been happier long term with anyone else besides each other

I don't find real fault with your general assessment but IMO that's like drug addicts who kind of just accept it. They probably wish they could change, but if they'd have to be a different person to change in their perception, so they stay put and keep destroying themselves until the end or if by some miracle they somehow rebound after bottoming out completely.

There could be chance for Daisy at least to bottom out down the road because I think in a broader sense the story kind illustrates how vacuous and empty their lives are even if they cling to it desperately.
>>
>>9825189

Here is the quote

"“[Tom], among various physical accomplishments, had been one of the most powerful ends that ever played football at New Haven—a national figure in a way, one of those men who reach such an acute limited excellence at twenty-one that everything afterward savors of anti-climax.” (1.16)"
>>
Sidenote: I've also had a fanfic thought that Tom would lose his fortune in the market crash of 29 and then kill himself.

Daisy would then have to go on welfare during most of the 30s and probably work in a factory well into her middle ages during the war to support the rest of her family,
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.