[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

writing dialogue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4943.jpg (16KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4943.jpg
16KB, 275x183px
what are some points to keep in mind when trying to write realistic, revealing dialogue?
what are some exercises you do?
>>
>>9822361
>what are some points to keep in mind when trying to write realistic
research how people talk IRL enough to find out that the way they talk is a terrible fucking idea, tell the realistic to find a fire and to die in it, then think of the way people ought to talk and write accordingly

>revealing
the character reveals itself by interacting with the environment and especially with other characters

>what are some exercises
dialogue is the exercise because you reveal who the character is even to yourself the writer, indeed to write a dialogue is to (re)write the character
>>
Study Henry James. He is a master of dialogue. Each section of dialogue must be set up very carefully so that everything they say is at once dramatically significant and realistic. Dialogue is the crest of a wave. It represents scenes of the greatest importance so is probably best done sparingly and with a a lot of context so that even the most seemingly mundane conversations are full of significance. Dialogue that does double duty (for example in narrating a story, or describing a person or building) is very good. But be sure it is also realistically done otherwise you'll run the risk of compromising the illusion of reality. At which point your story is dead.
>>
>>9822391
How ought people to talk. This would be helpful to know for my personal life.
>>
>>9822361
Realism with enhanced sense of style that befits the character.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.