[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books that are cozy and also great reads?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2855.jpg (177KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2855.jpg
177KB, 900x600px
What are some books that are cozy and also great reads?
>>
>>9819120
Gormenghast
>>
The Magic Mountain.
>>
Robinson Crusoe.
>>
More suggestions please
>>
>>9819120
a book that describes exactly your picture is jerome k. jerome's "idle thoughts of an idle fellow," but his most well-known book is "three men in a boat." not great literature, but comfy reading.

wodehouse is also someone i find extraordinarily relaxing and easy to read.
>>
Isn't Hemingway good for this?
>>
Suttree. But only read if you can stand that heavy feeling of deep loneliness in your heart.
>>
>>9819249
no
>>
Most Dickens
>>
>>9819276
He's lying
>>
Melville is the comfiest writer around
>>
>>9819249
Yes, the Collected Stories is very comfy, in particular Nick Adams stories like Up in Michigan and Big Two-Hearted River.

Very recently discovered a volume I'm enjoying:

>American Sea Writing: A Literary Anthology,
edited by Peter Neill (Library of America 2000)

From what I've read so far, it's an unusually well-edited, strong anthology. Very comfy stuff.
>>
Can we get the ultimate /comfycore/ canon going?
>>
>>9819120

Little, Big.

While the moon smoothly shifted the shadows from one side of Edgewood to the other, Daily Alice dreamed that she stood in a flower-starred field where on a hill there grew an oak tree and a thorn in deep embrace, their branches intertwined like fingers. Far down the hall, Sophie dreamed that there was a tiny door in her elbow, open a crack, through which the wind blew, blowing on her heart. Dr. Drinkwater dreamed he sat before his typewriter and wrote this: 'There is an aged, aged insect who lives in a hole in the ground. One June he puts on his summer straw, and takes his pipe and his staff and his lamp in half his hands, and follows the worm and the root to the stair that leads up to the door into blue summer.' This seemed immensely significant to him, but when he awoke he wouldn't be able to remember a word of it, try as he might. Mother beside him dreamed her husband wasn't in his study at all, but with her in the kitchen, where she drew tin cookie-sheets endlessly out of the oven; the baked things on them were brown and round, and when he asked her what they were, she said 'Years'.
>>
>>9819120
Never let me go
The virgin suicides
Mason and Dixon
The remains of the day
>>
>>9820883
came to post this
>>
>>9819120
NYRB paperbacks are good for this.
>Stoner
>Skylark
>The Door
>The Invention of Morel

Also Steinbeck's novellas, Murakami's short stories, and Salinger's shorter works
>>
The Secret History by Dona Tartt is usually regarded as comfycore.
>>
File: 1466023818672.jpg (229KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1466023818672.jpg
229KB, 1024x768px
>>9819120
Moby Dick
>>
>>9820909
Forgot to mention Winesburg, Ohio.
Probably the comfiest book I've read, It's like Dubliners but American and comfier
>>
>>9820824
Seconding this
>>
>>9819120
The Wind in the Willows
>>
Rumo and his miraculous adventures
>>
>>9820824
thirding this
>>
>>9819120
swiss family robinson
howl's moving castle
Dragonflight
>>
>>9820824
fourth...ding? this
>>
>>9819120
Goodnight Moon
>>
>>9819120
the three musketeers
>>
>>9820824
fifth-ing (no not the same guy I just want a comfy canon ya feel me?)
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.