[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help identifying a cult

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1500728087310.jpg (380KB, 1600x1329px) Image search: [Google]
1500728087310.jpg
380KB, 1600x1329px
Help me out here, /lit/. I recall once reading about an esoteric jewish/gnostic cult whose adherents believed that it was necessary to commit every possible sin so as to resemble the divine spark of God.

Does this ring any bells?
>>
>>9817134
fuck, I meant "reassemble" not "resemble"
>>
>>9817134
Not the Manicheans, or the Sabbateans?
>>
>>9817134
Borges made them up.
You've been BORGE'D
>>
>>9817134
You can find the complete writings of St John of Damascus on archive . org, in "Heresies" he lists all cults and heresies, along with their practices, from c. 9th century.
>>
I thought it was augustines earlier religion or some sect mentioned in the divine comedy but I couldn't find anything.
Something about people running around hedonistcally or something like that and it was a christian sect.
>>9817159
Not op but that better not be the case cause I swear it's real.
>>
>>9817159
Make a BORGE'D meme please
>>
>>9817134
Bogomils?
>>
I believe you are looking for Communists?
>>
>>9817156
OP here, this is what I talking about, the Sabbateans, specifically as explained by Jacob Frank. Thanks!
>>
>>9817136
Germans?
>>
>>9817159
OP here again; Borges wrote a short story called "The Theologians" about a fictional cult that was inspired by the followers of Carpocrates, which was an early Gnostic sect that "believed that in order to leave this world, one's imprisoned eternal soul must pass through every possible condition of earthly life" and that "the Carpocratians did "all those things which we dare not either speak or hear of" "

Frankism, which is based off the writings of Jacob Frank, and is loosely derived from Sabbateanism, is the belief that the soul can be purified through transgression, and the distinction between good and evil was an illusion maintained by a false material god (sounds like Gnosticism but I don't think it's related cladistically)
>>
>>9819084
You're welcome!
>>
Any gathering of three or more persons;
Criteria includes males with shoulder length hair or longer, and endangerment through inattentive driving.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.