[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comfy /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1321425935405.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1321425935405.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Hi /lit/, I need some comfy books to take with me on vacation. The ideal would be not too long, so I can finish them before getting home (I'm currently reading GR). The ones I found:
>The Dubliners
>Mrs.Dalloway
>Notes from the Underground
>Something by Murakami
>The Remains of the day
What do you think are the comfiest? Do you know any others?
>>
>>9816559
You are on vacation, read pulp.
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
>>
>>9816559
A quick definition of what I mean by "comfy": literature written in good prose that is not too "heavy" and make a fine read for entertainment purposes
>>
>>9816566
Yeah, Palahniuk was one of my second-tier choices
>>
File: sputnik-sweetheart.jpg (71KB, 324x521px) Image search: [Google]
sputnik-sweetheart.jpg
71KB, 324x521px
>>9816559
>>
>>9816733
Is sentimental Murakami really better than surrealist Murakami?
>>
>>9816741
I feel like all of Murakami's surrealism is sentimental to a varying extent. But my suggestion was Sputnik Sweetheart since the OP requested for something not too long, and besides the plot is relateable vacation-wise.
>>
>>9816789
OP here. I prefer to read authors in chronological order, do you think A Wild Sheep Chase is a good start for Murakami?
>>
how could you read Notes on vacation and not have a panic attack?
>>
>>9816825
Yes, I regret reading it later. Also The Hard-Boiled Wonderland
>>
>>9816825
If you want to read them chronologically tho, A Wild Sheep Chase is the 3rd book from the Rat Trilogy, so you would need to start from Hear The Wind Sing and Pinball which are respectively his first novels.
>>
>>9816879
Yes, I know, but I'm not really interested in the first two
>>
>>9816913
And I really didn't know about this trilogy. I thought Wild Sheep Chase was only conncected with Dance Dance Dance
>>
Italo Calvino's "If on a winter's night, a traveler" is max comfycore
>>
>>9816559
The Long Ships is a comfy as fuck viking adventure novel.
>>
>>9816913
Yeah you can skip the first two, they're not essential
>>
>>9816559
Notes from Underground isn't particularly comfy from what I remember but it is fantastic. It will probably ruin your mood any day you read it though. Consider that, please, OP. Don't ruin your vacation. Save it for when you feel miserable and it should be useful to help you out of a slump (nobody wants to become the Underground Man, after all).

Here's a few you might want to check out:
Thoreau's Walden
Mishima's The Sound of Waves
Bram Stoker's Dracula (although a horror, there's more focus on friendship, bonding and mutual respect between the group of central characters like Mina HArker, Jonathan Harker, Van Helsing, etc. Some comfy spooks along the way too)
John Steinbeck (Of Mice and Men is very short but you may have already read it; Cannery Row is underrated here imo)

You have some good choices already, OP. Hope these ones suit your tastes too.
>>
>>9817413
Thank you, anon. Mishima might be exactly what I'm looking for
>>
>>9817413
Cannery Row is always mentioned when Steinbeck is brought up on /lit/.
I recommend his Travels with Charley, OP.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.