[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend me a novel that will make me less dumb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: sadpepe.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sadpepe.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
Checked out /lit/ top 100 I feel too stupid to even read the first 20 novels. I enjoy reading and want to become enlightened and hopefully one day be ready enough to read Infinite Jest or Ulysses. What's one novel that will take me further on my journey to becoming literary?
>>
>>9816487
Novels won't make you less dumb, even the 'hard' ones. If you want to dip your toes into reading more serious and better literature I'd recommend:
Jesus' Son - Dennis Johnson (RIP)
The writing is phenomenal, it'll give you something to think about while and after you've read it, and it is pretty short.
>>
>>9816498
He's saying that the material is too intelligent for him, not the other way around.
>>
read them anyway
>>
turgenev - sportsmans sketches
shalamov - kolyma tales

both top tier patrician short story collections that are easy to read
>>
Just look for 'the /lit/ starter kit'.
>>
Go with Infinite Jest. No joke. It's long and the footnote may be tedious but it's easy to read and it will make you feel way smarter than you truly are, which will give you the confidence to read Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow and so on.
>>
>>9816487
Start with something short like Tolstoy's Kreutzer Sonata or Candide.
>>
Start with high school core like 1984, Gatsby, etc
If you're past that, start with harder short stories like >>9816534 said. Borges is fun.
Then start with the Greeks - you'll be more than prepared. At least read Homer and the tragic plays if you're only here for literature.
Progress to the Romans, Christianity and the like. You can read some contemporary books here if you're bored of "old white men"™
By now you've probably read some of the /lit/ 100 already, but choose anything.
Write a thesis on Finnegans Wake
>>
>>9817182
I am reading Infinite Jest without paying attention to the footnotes

Did I do well?
>>
>>9816487
Read the classics you bum. After you read a book look for essays on that book. If you're not doing that then you might as well be doing nothing
>>
>>9817189
You're evil, suggesting Finnegan's Wake. I've been told the best way to read that is just read without thinking about the story...or the theme...or the words.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.