[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What languages have enough contemporary fiction to read that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 4636262.jpg (152KB, 1000x646px) Image search: [Google]
4636262.jpg
152KB, 1000x646px
What languages have enough contemporary fiction to read that you won't abandon them after you've read the classics?

I have assurances for Japanese but I dunno about French, German, Russian, Mandarin etc.
>>
>>9815555

Everyone's writing in every language all the time dude.
>>
>>9815555
Depends on what you mean by "contemporary". If you're asking if the corpus of literature produced in the last ten years in any country is as good as the remaining ~2000 years of Western literature, I'm going to have to say no.

But obviously English has good contemporary literature, if only for the sheer volume of it and the fact that English has an actual literary tradition.
>>
>>9815706
>English has an actual literary tradition.

t. chauvinist
>>
>>9815555
>after you've read the classics?
fcking anglos baka.
Even if german people just stopped writting books after 1990 there would still be enough classics to sustain you for pretty much a lifetime
I don't know, but I'd guess for russian it's the same
and why would you even learn mandarin or japanese? c'mon
>>
Italy, from the 50s until the present Italy has had some steadily excellent writing beyond the classics
>>
>>9815555
>needs assurances
Pleb detected
You'll never finish reading the French classics and you'll never even get anywhere close to understanding one out of the 4 famous Chinese novels. The Dream of Red Chambers is an academic field of studies in its own right, just think about that. Not even Ulysses has that accolade as of yet.
>>
>>9815555
The latter you mentioned are moot. Go for Spanish; start with Siglo de Oro, read selectively XVII-XIX and emerge with the Latinamerican masters of the XX. Your life and intellect will improve. There's no contemporary scene like the Spanish-speaking one.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.