[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm getting into world building as a way to tell a story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: morrowind.jpg (613KB, 1245x1467px) Image search: [Google]
morrowind.jpg
613KB, 1245x1467px
I'm getting into world building as a way to tell a story that's built around a world that feels lived in and established. Does anyone got any tips or links in regards to inventing a language? Doesn't have to be Tolkien tier but I also don't want to half ass it.
>>
>>>/tg/
These dudes will be more helpful
>>
Study language
>>
guy who makes the languages for got has a youtube channel on making languages. Think he's david peterson or something similar
>>
>>9813318
This, ask here also OP
>>
>>9813162
This guy's Channel is all about worldbuilding. He mostly details how to build a world using different astrophysical systems, but he also has a second series where he talks about language-building, that is INSANELY helpful if you want to get into Conlanging.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Artifexian/videos

If you want to go further than that, the only real option that you have is to learn about the real world. Read up on your physics, biology, geography, geology, ecology, history, economics, cultural development, anthropology, sociology, and linguistics.
>>
>>9813162

Why invent a language when you could use an old one, and expand your grasp of ancient classics in the process. Rowling just used latin.
>>
Don't. Its a waste of time and a terrible gimmick. If you can't write anything that doesn't involve world building then just don't write.
>>
>>9813162
you could employ what I call the transcendental approach to worldbuilding

what you do is you pick out some single small event you want to write about, and just put in whatever elements are necessary to make that event work plotwise, and to make it aesthetically coherent/appealing (both in terms of the natural and world and the anthropology). then ask yourself -- what are the conditions under which this slice of the world i've imagined would be possible? think about every single element you've used, and what the world would have to be like, under normal assumptions, for it to be that way. was there a glass jar in your story? then there must be glassmaking technology, which means there must be use of kilns of some sort, as well as basic knowledge of minerals and access to them. where are those minerals, and how do people get them? furthermore, given that the technology for glassmaking is available, what other technologies could one reasonably expect to exist?

you may also run into tensions – is it improbable for some reason that one such technology would exist without the other? and so on.

one cool thing about this is if you create an element specifically to drive a plot, you can build around that, so the world becomes coherent of its own accord. so if two characters distrust each other for racial reasons, you now have the background for establishing different races, their mutual mistrust, and the historical reasons why that's so.

every time you introduce a plot element, work out all the consequences of it to its logical conclusion, and leave the rest of the world a 'blank spot.' then do it again each time a fresh plot point is introduced.soon you'll have a world far richer and more expansive than what you've shown, and so it will seem not cobbled together piecemeal, but like a real place. and after a while you'll be able to insert new plot elements without adding substantially to the world, because you'll have created a relatively stable, 'complete' environment.
>>
>>9813318
this
>>
>>9813162
Skip it and just mash a bunch of rarely used letters and apostrophes together. You know you want it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.