[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books that were never finished

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Schweijk.jpg (133KB, 468x603px) Image search: [Google]
Schweijk.jpg
133KB, 468x603px
I've lately been reading the Book "The Good Soldier Švejk" by Jaroslav Hašek which was sadly left unfinished due to his death in 1923. Any other books you are sad about never being finished, /lit/? If so, why?
>>
Richard Hughs' last book in The Human Predicament Trilogy :(
>>
>>9812781
But it was more of a serial installment in a newspaper, not really a novel to be finished. But semantics aside you're completely right, jolly ol' Svejk never eached the front.
On Svejk, is it worth finishing, I quit halfway through.

Also, Musil's The Man Without Qualities
>>
>>9812911

I think so, although I cannot rate the English version as I read it in German. It really depends on if semi-absurdist humour is yours. It is not really "funny" in the traditional way but it succeeds in making you laugh at the Habsburg attempts to keep an empire together by depicting a character just bumbling from a court into a prison cell into a drunken priests company etc., thereby exposing the dissatisfaction and corruption of Austria-Hungary at every level, while using these absurd situations, these absurd reactions from a changing society with ossified upper echelons to still be funny. The really messed up thing is that the book ends just as Svejk is ordered by telegram to the front. I was expecting a conclusion of tremendous hilarity and extreme impersonal cruelty at the same time and got disappointed so hard...
>>
File: 1499669582909.png (16KB, 958x660px) Image search: [Google]
1499669582909.png
16KB, 958x660px
The Pale King by David Foster Wallace
>>
one of bruno schulz's books. streets of crocodiles or something like that
>>
A whole bunch of Middle Earth novels and poems that Tolkien never finished, particularly The Fall of Gondolin.
>>
>>9812781
Dead Souls
The Last Tycoon
Whistle >>9812795
>>
>>9813219
t-thanks for spoiling that all for me anon...
>>
Peter the Great's Negro.
>>
Lucretius De Rerum Natura

Poor guy went mad and committed suicide.
>>
>>9813441

Now come on, what I "spoiled" happens fairly early in the book. The thing about him not reaching the front was already said in a previous post though.
>>
I guess the obvious answer is Kafka's "The Trial". in the half-finished state it sort of holds up as being confounding and episodic because he's Kafka but I imagine it would've been a masterpiece if done properly
>>
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.