[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hackett Plato

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: Plato's complete works.jpg (80KB, 510x680px) Image search: [Google]
Plato's complete works.jpg
80KB, 510x680px
So went a bought the Hackett eddition of Plato's Complete Works recommended by meme /lit/ charts and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. The dust-jack is of fairly poor quality, and doesn't fit very well. The paper insides feels quite cheap. The binding itself seems alright but overall it just feels cheaply made.

Anyone else have experience with the Hackett edition? I feel as If i should've just bought the Jowett edition instead.
>>
Kys pleb
>>
>>9812365
>not getting the entire Platonis Opera copied out on papyrus scrolls in the original Greek
>>
File: ha2.jpg (37KB, 620x451px) Image search: [Google]
ha2.jpg
37KB, 620x451px
>hackett
>>
>>9812365
Stop baiting. You are the meme itself.
>>
>>9812365
The pages have words on them, do they not? who fucking cares?
>>
>>9812365
From a scholarly perspective, it's still probably the best you're going to get. Also, of course it has to use bible paper, otherwise it couldn't fit into one volume.
>>
>>9812722
Are the Hamilton or Jowett editions still worth getting?
>>
>>9812365
I had the same issues. It feels very delicate. The dustcover is basically just paper, and the pages feel like they might rip if you breathe on them too hard.
>>
File: IMG_20170514_194619.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170514_194619.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>9812365
My copy is digital and works perfectly.
>>
>>9812803
>My copy is digital

Oxymoron. You don't own anything.
>>
>>9812842
Spooked retard.
>>
>>9812803
Oh god that font.
>>
>>9812365
>bought

you could download this and Jowett online for free, you silly faghat
>>
File: peter smiling.jpg (39KB, 276x276px) Image search: [Google]
peter smiling.jpg
39KB, 276x276px
>>9812858
>>
>>9812882
Digital books are for peasants.
>>
>>9812365
>binding is smyth sewn
>paper is acid free
>Meant to be thin because it's about 2000 pages
>dust cover meant to come off. I think the material is buckram.
>translations are pretty good, better than of Jowett of course

Learn something about book quality. It's a fantastic edition.
>>
What do you guys think of Reeve's version (republic)?
>>
>>9812914
Yeah I'll admit the main gripe I have is the dust-jacket.
>>
File: 891.png (226KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
891.png
226KB, 480x640px
>newfag redditor comes to lit
>falls for start with the greeks when they are at a John Green/Harry Potter intellectual capacity
>buys Plato Complete Works as a library piece
>"I'm a bit disappointed. The dust-jack is of fairly poor quality, and doesn't fit very well"

>>9812914
this
>>
>>9812365
That's why you read the ebook version. I bought the hard copy but got really annoyed reading it because it has paper-thin paper that shows the previous page through
>>
>>9812915
>not getting bloom's

3rd edition came out recently too
>>
>>9812728
I read Jowett pretty much exclusively due to it being public domain I liked him.
>>
>>9812803
that font is not too comfy, anon.
>>
>>9812803
>reading in comic sans
The fuck
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.