[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Books only good as a Young Adult

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Catholics.png (678KB, 2047x729px) Image search: [Google]
Catholics.png
678KB, 2047x729px
ITT: Books only good as a Young Adult
>>
Anything written by Christopher Hitchens except his essays
>>
File: essentially.jpg (26KB, 300x487px) Image search: [Google]
essentially.jpg
26KB, 300x487px
>>
File: Dark_Elf_Trilogy.png (137KB, 350x200px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Elf_Trilogy.png
137KB, 350x200px
>>9805296
>that book you will never get the same feelings from again
>>
The Stranger.
>>
>>9805510
Aw just read this :(
>>
>>9805496
This
>>
>>9805510
explain why only young adults would get the most benefit from it
what did you gain from it as a young adult?
>>
>>9806302
this board is for those over the age of 18
>>
>>9805296
harry potter was pretty gotdamn magical used to listen on a portable sony cd-player in bed as a kid the 2nd book from the media section of the library whoever voiced that shit did a bang up jon, rowling did a service to youth with that series. As an adult it doesn't serve its puporse too well though, unfortunately. I wish it did, ...but she never said it was intended for so called "mature" folk. They're still great books, i think, but I prefer to read other stuff now.
>>
>>9805296
Seems like Orthodoxy is the way to go desu.
>>
ITT:

A bunch of 16-24 year olds talking about things that only "young adults" like.
>>
>>9806357
what is the point of your post?
>>
>>9806365
You're all dumbfuck young adults.
>>
>>9806332
I took the OP to mean that the book in question isn't necessarily "most beneficial" to young adults, but that it's something you'll like as a young adult and then, as you age, evolve your taste to the point where you no longer like it nearly as much as you did then.

To put it as briefly as I can, I think The Stranger and Camus' philosophy in general appeals to young adults and teenagers, especially in America, because it captures and validates a sort of suburban ennui that is very acutely onset I'd say from about 16-24. On top of that, it encourages a rebellious and individualistic attitude that can be very attractive to kids within or just coming out of the highly codified and conformist social atmosphere of high school.

To young people that are confused about their place in the world and quickly growing disillusioned about the various explicit and implicit dogmas that they were likely raised with, it's reassuring to be told, in essence, that it's okay and, in fact, inevitable to be confused, everyone is confused, and you need to carve out your own island of meaning against the inauthentic solutions of others. But as you actually begin to do that, you begin finding yourself further distant from the state of being that actually lead you to do it in the first place, and Camus eventually loses his relevance and power.
>>
>>9806502
this. 16 y/o me was a huge camus fan
>>
This edit is on par with those shitty left edits of comics. The originals aren't extraordinary, but the derivatives are always unfunny.
>>
Harry Potter
All of Stephen King
Bob Morane
>>
Any work by Ayn Rand or Anton Lavey
>>
>>9806965
>>9806333
>harry potter
>ya
>can't be over 18
YA should be renamed tween cause the term has clearly lost all meaning.
>>
Wizard of Earthsea. Admittedly it was the thing that got me into reading at age 6, but it is still pretty good.
>>
anything by Hegel
>>
>>9805296
herman hesse generally
>>
>>9806357
>>9806374
As proven here:
>>9806598
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.