[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Augustine etc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: augustine.jpg (85KB, 457x709px) Image search: [Google]
augustine.jpg
85KB, 457x709px
I read Augustine's Confessions and loved it. I was staggered how relevant and familiar he seemed, for lack of a better way to put it (not that I think an ancient writer needs to appear 'relevant'). So I'm wondering how similar City of God is as a reading experience, but also how 'academic' it is, since I don't have the time atm for 900 odd pages of heavy philosophy.

But also are there any other similar writers, particularly Church fathers? On a side note I was also interested in getting into Augustine because of his influence on the middle ages. But I was disappointed to find Boethius just felt like Plato-lite.
>>
>>9803790

>But I was disappointed to find Boethius just felt like Plato-lite

Are you really trying to say that two writers using the same format feel the same? No way.
>>
>>9803904
I just expected it to seem more Christian 2bh.
>>
>>9803925

It is deeply Christian, just not overtly. He was writing more for the Neoplatonist than anything.
>>
Confirmation name, who else /augustine/ here?

OP, Augustine's Enchiridion is a great hidden gem too. It's not that long.
>>
>>9803790
What was your background to read Confessions?
>>
You should read his stuff that addresses various heresies of the early Church, too, like Against The Academicians and Against Julian. They're not long and they'll contain some pretty essential philosophical and theological elements.
>>
>>9803790
City of God is completely different and Confessions was the first work of its kind. Other Church Fathers wrote mostly theology. Athanasius of Alexandria and Justin Martyr are my favorites.
>>
I read Augustine after I saw Heidegger praise him, and he really blew me away. The confessions are as a philosophical work still feel relevant. I'm reading through Aristotle now and then going into City of God.

>>9804485
How's the enchiridion, whats it about?
>>
>>9803790
just read city of God. Book 2-10 are kind of boring but youll learn a lot about roman history

its not that heavy, especially if youve read basic plato (apology saga, symposium, timaeus)
>>
>>9804594
>I'm reading through Aristotle now and then going into City of God
mistake
Plato -> Neoplatonists -> Augustine
Aristotle -> Aquinas
>>
>>9804763
desu FUCK neoplatonists
>>
>>9804485
Me actually
When i find i'll read it
>>
>>9803790
>I don't have the time atm for 900 odd pages of heavy philosophy.
It's not super heavy really. City of God is a pretty easy read, as long as you have a good understanding of the story of the Bible, you should be fine.
>>
>>9805193
Hello Augustine
>>
>>9804485
>tfw I didn't give a shit about my confirmation at the time and just picked michael because haha my name is already michael
At least I get all kinds of badass art depicting me r-right
>>
>>9804485
Mine is Peter.
>>
>>9804485
Wow, I don't even remember my confirmation name. I just remember being jealous of my brother because he got Luke, one of the Dukes of Hazzard.
>>
>>9806017
>>9806534
>the absolute state of Catholicism
>>
File: saint-francis-de-sales.jpg (628KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
saint-francis-de-sales.jpg
628KB, 960x1280px
>>9806734
Confirmation should happen later in life. Teenagers rarely make wise decisions when it comes to their patron saint.

I lucked out with mine. Even as a middle schooler I wanted to be a writer, so I chose Francis de Sales, who's the patron saint of writers and journalists. It was only later on that I discovered what a great theologian and preacher he was.
>>
>>9806741
It definitely depends on your church but the pre-Confirmation educational courses I received were absolute horseshit. They were based entirely on these awful textbooks of nothing but shitty buzzwords, no teaching of scripture, church history, tradition, or catholic culture whatsoever. Every week was some new variation of "How do I know jesus loves me? Here are five reasons! Memorize them for a quiz at the end of the day!" completely devoid of substance.
I had a bit of an existential crisis and told my parents I couldn't call myself a Catholic and would be lying to myself and the church if I went through with Confirmation. They didn't care and said I should do it anyway because maybe later I would change my mind. The whole affair was a joke.
>>
>>9803940
This. People gotta remember that Neoplatonism informed the majority of early Christian academic thought up until around the time of Catholic formalization, and by then the roots were solidly embedded.
>>
>>9804485
I picked St. Anthony because my dad picked him, and my Sunday school tier theological education didn't inform me that perhaps I should put more thought into this because a couple years down the road I will get into religion and feel regret over not being /Augustine/.
>>
>>9806801
Werent the first centuries mostly a back and forth pro and against neoplatonism with it losing?
>>
>>9806530
That wasn't the question Peter, no-one asked for you.
>>
>>9804485
I didn't know we had that. Was confirmed at 14. Catechesis was trash, didn't learn anything.
Last year I picked st. Thomas Aquinas and st. Thomas More as my patron saints because I'm a philosophy obsessed law student.
>>9806797
Almost every Catholic today has had this experience. Getting rid of scholasticim for nouvelle theologie and horseshit that stems from it is the greatest catastrophe since the French revolution.
>>
>>9806928
Nobody was against it that I know of. Christianity introduced Platonic reasoning with Justin Martyr in 130 ad.
>>
>>9807344
Augustine was. While he did say in the City of God that the Platonists was closest to the Christian truth, he specifically abhorred their daemonic intermediaries. Platonism is Pagan, through and through, and that was the greatest objection to it from the early Church Fathers.

It goes back to Justin Martyr, who made an ingenious defence of the newly founded Christian tradition by saying that it's teachings was indeed found in the various traditions of yore, but that it was the culmination, apex and perfection of all these.

Justin Martyr demonized the Platonic daemons, however. Whereas daemons in Platonism are intermediaries between humans and gods, in Justin Martyr they became the cause of all evil; indeed, he considered them as the Pagan gods themselfes. This was likewise followed by Origen.

While Christianity appropriated several Platonic elements, it also discarded many.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.