[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Genre fiction /lit/ deems worth reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: The_Stand_cover.jpg (22KB, 240x372px) Image search: [Google]
The_Stand_cover.jpg
22KB, 240x372px
Gather up all you condescending pretentious faggots. Get off your high chairs and take a break from your Dostoevskys and Greek eroticas.

ITT: Post Quality Genre Fiction

I'll start. THE STAND by Stephen King
>>
Tolkien seems fairly well regarded on here, as does Lovecraft and Arthur C Clarke.
>>
File: 66479.jpg (22KB, 295x475px) Image search: [Google]
66479.jpg
22KB, 295x475px
>>9803479

Yay! something I can participate in with a reasonable amount of competency.

For science fiction readers, I would recommend starfish.

It's an excellent psychological exploration, combined with good speculation and an interesting plot.
>>
>>9803618

For fantasy I would reccomend the first law by joe abercrombie.

The characters are just as interesting as the action itself, and pretty memorable. I've read several hundred fantasy novels and even the side characters stuck with me.

like most fantasy authors, he leans towards series instead of single standalone books, and this is no exception.
>>
>>9803635

For literary fiction I'd recommend 2666 by robert bulano.

The underarching theme is a little 'edgy', dealing primarily with violence and murder, but the tales are so interestingly woven that it's worth a look.

It's also meaty, which I know some of the heavier weight intellectuals on here will appreciate.
>>
File: elric11.jpg (37KB, 295x400px) Image search: [Google]
elric11.jpg
37KB, 295x400px
I'd go for the Elric of Melnibone novels. They're short (originally serialized then collected in pulp paperback form) but very detailed. They're some of the first dark fantasy stories and were hugely influential despite being obscure now. You wouldn't have A Song of Ice & Fire or The Witcher without Elric.

>>9803479
Just like every massive Stephen King book, you spend the first 1000 pages wondering where you're going to place it on your '10 best books I've ever read" list once you've finished, and the last 100 watching King completely wreck the entire thing.
>>
>>9803479
For Science Fiction, where do we cut the line?
Does The Atrocity Exhibition count? Cause i love that book.
>>
>>9803603
>>9803479
>>9803618
>>9803635
>>9803665
>>9803817
>>>/sffg/
>>
Can someone explain this Dark Tower bullshit to me? There are like 8 books and a novella and comics but now there is a movie that is a sequel to the 8 books but it also is the 8 books and when it comes to the books everyone recommends you should read these ones but skip those ones or only read until this one and then stop.

What the fuck is the deal with this series?
>>
Horrible start OP.
>>
File: 13576702.jpg (56KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
13576702.jpg
56KB, 312x475px
>>
>>9804214
its just a shitty drugstore paperback series
its an alternate universe set in what looks like the american old west except there's magic and time seems non-linear (technologically advanced civilizations collapse and appear from nowhere, the sun rises and sets in strange directions), Roland is just the last "gunslinger" (their universe's bloodline stemming from their version of King Arthur) is pursuing The Man in Black ( a chief agent of the Crimson King, (Satan) ) who wants to topple the Dark Tower which is the linchpin of time and space. There series has no literary value and is virtually no noteworthy praise despite its length. He awkwardly works in references to all his other shit works and the ending of the last book is that once Roland reaches the tower it sends him back to the start of the first book with his memory wiped. Imagine the least talented writers in fantasy, science fiction, horror, and thrillers came together and collaborated on a series of books and this is it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.