[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

File: shrugged.jpg (14KB, 178x283px) Image search: [Google]
shrugged.jpg
14KB, 178x283px
To be clear, I have not actually read the book. I was considering it, but decided to watch the movie first, to get an idea of what it would be like and was sincerely disappointed.

The first two parts were, in my opinion, rather compelling. The stage was pretty well set for an above average story that could still push a libertarian worldview. We had bad guys, good guys, well developed characters for the purpose of the plot, a romance that wasnt overly cliched.

The stage was set for a fairly good(but extraordinary) story at the beginning on the third movie. Dagny finds a bunch of worthless, superior fucks who decided to give up on the world, worst of all being John Galt, holed up in Atlantis. Sure their ideas are brilliant but she cant give up on the world! So she goes back, fixes things as best she can with Reordan's help. She convinces the aforementioned fucks to come back somehow, the government is overthrown, a libertarian system is put in place, and so the world is saved.

A little cliche, certainly, but not necessarily bad. You can have some self doubt, some redemption arcs, some side action with john which will throw a wrench into Dagny/Reordan's relationship and therefore their plans...

But instead of this, I sat through 80 minutes of relativist, absolute individualist, absolute isolationist propaganda put forth by a bunch of people who are supposed to be the heroes, but actually come across as selfish pricks? And then Dagny just randomly forgets about Reordan and starts fucking Galt? Who is slimy and selfish and manipulative and corrupted the people who had a chance to save the world? And then Dagny, who is supposed to be the story's hero gives up on the world as well????? I have to say, I read Sinclair's The Jungle in high school, and the preening over Sinclair's economic policy being an absolute moral compass that would usher in a Utopia seemed remarkably similar to my experience with Atlas Shrugged.

So a few questions, I suppose.

1: Do the book and the movie have the same ending? Does the last third of the book come off as preachy as the 3rd movie?

2. How the fuck does this push forward libertarianism as a good thing. I mean sure it can create utopia but anything not up to snuff just gets left to die, as if millions of lives arent worth saving?

And 3: Why would this book, assuming my analysis of the movie holds true to the book as well, hold any literary merit whatsoever? What could possibly be compelling about a book where the supposed heroes just give up. Is it fair that Atlas has to hold the world? No. Does that mean that shrugging is a reasonable course of action... I certainly wouldnt say so
>>
Wait, they actually made a third movie? After the first two were complete flops? Incredible.
>The film holds a 0% at review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 10 reviews for an average rating of 1.4/10.[19] On Metacritic, the film has a 9/100 rating based on 7 critics, indicating "overwhelming dislike".[20] Alan Scherstuhl of the Village Voice wrote: "Rand's parable is meant to showcase just how much our world needs the best of us, but this adaptation only does so accidentally – by revealing what movies would be like if none of the best of us worked on them."[21]
Well, thanks for that laugh OP. But stop posting on /lit/ about movies and fucking read a book. Don't read AS though, it's a meme. Read The Fountainhead.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.