[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Descartes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (160KB, 817x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 817x1000px
Is anybody actually convinced by this guy's ontological argument for the existence of God? This question is not meant to mock Descartes—I am genuinely curious if anybody buys his argument.
>>
>>9802356
just from reading the first few pages of meditations, I can tell you he set out to kill idea of god that christianity forced onto its subjects, and sought to replace it with a true idea of god.

which god were you referring to?
>>
>>9802441
I'm referring to the existence of any god at all—not just the Abrahamic God.

I think I may be missing something. I just don't see why it is necessary for the idea of a god to be caused by a god.
>>
>>9802356
No. Have you ever attended an introductory philosophy class? Nearly every professor makes clear the obscurity of the ontological argument.
>>
>>9802505
I'm just a neurotic person, and when I read the Meditations on First Philosophy, I started freaking out because I thought I was stupid for thinking his argument is nonsense.
>>
>>9802356
Not convinced but I don't think is nonsense either.
>>
>>9802356
>Is anybody actually convinced by this guy's ontological argument for the existence of God?

It's just as notoriously unconvincing as Anselm's version
>>
OP here. I enjoy hearing from other people on topics like this, so thanks. I'm going to read Descartes' replies to the objections to the Meditations, because I really want to see everything there is to be said about this before I dismiss his argument.
>>
anyone who dismisses the Ontological Argument as intuitively wrong hasn't really understood it.

It must, of course, be invalid -- but that no one can agree precisely on what ought invalidate it. For each proposition, one can construct a rather sound metaphysical system in which that proposition is true -- however then some other proposition becomes false.

So in answer to your question -- no one believes in the Ontological Argument, but everyone argues on why it is wrong.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.