[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you 'fix' your archaic writing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1496562120706.jpg (24KB, 600x600px)
1496562120706.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
The more I translated philosophy and translated books the more I find my style of writing and my choice of words to deviate from that of my peers.

How do you fix your writing? Do you just read newer and more modern books? If so, what are some well-written non-fiction books that are also modern in its use of language? Something related to ethics and philosophy is best, preferably not 'pop-literature'
>>
Why would you want to?
>>
>>9800581
For English Exam
>>
>>9800737
What kind of an exam judges your writing style, rather than the quality of your prose?

All I read is 19th and 18th century works, and so I have the tendency, when I write papers in uni, to write very long sentences, filled with commas and semi colons. This is the style of writing I most enjoy reading, and thus it's the standard by which I judge my own writing, as I try to emulate it.
>>
>>9800876
Same. People who complain about long sentences are actual plebs. As long as it is structured correctly (and in turn, beautifully), it's fine.
>>
>>9800982
Third. Cultivate it.
>>
>>9800982
Most markers are learning English as their second language, and for writings (such as contextualized article or letter writings), certain guidelines surrounding the tone and language used is advised.

and most markers just get frustrated if they don't understand what you're trying to say to them.

when language doesn't do its function of properly conveying one's message, it fails as a medium of communication.
>>
>>9803069
Language should not be judged by nonfluents
>>
>>9800559
your an idiot
>>
>>9803090
Agree with this comment. Also, the post it addresses assumes that the type of simplicity nonfluents require is somehow beyond the the capacities of those whose free-style English tends toward 'the Baroque,' which is laughable.
>>
I feel this. I read a lot of historical sources, and afterwards my prose sounds like the 1850's. Just balance it out by reading some modern shitbook afterwards.
>>
>>9803090
Unfortunately, that's the way it is now a days. This doesn't solve OP's problem of how the world ought to be.
>>
>>9800581
first post is the best post.
>>
>>9806223
well.. it IS the rhetorical question/answer.
>>
Why do you think your peers are better?
>>9803069
But that's wrong. Also, ESL shouldn't ever grade writing. Even if they are fluent, they lack a certain complexity that only natives will ever have.

Do what you want, not what others want. I've been told to not write a certain way, only to continue.

'clear' writing is the trend that has been killing philosophy for centuries.
>>
File: 1499391011823.jpg (65KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1499391011823.jpg
65KB, 450x600px
>>9800559
It's an indication that you're in the wrong place.

My writing suffers from the same fate. I had an English professor last quarter who was as pedestrian as you could get. He only judged my work according to how much I could pander to his interests. I experimented with my essays around midterms, and I found that the less I used complex sentences and structure, the higher my score.

It's nothing more than an omen about the current state of writing, and pretty much how it's always been.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.