[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whhat is PKD's greatest work? imo it's a scanner darkly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: PhilipDick.jpg (16KB, 300x389px) Image search: [Google]
PhilipDick.jpg
16KB, 300x389px
Whhat is PKD's greatest work?
imo it's a scanner darkly
>>
VALIS
>>
I too am partial to VALIS.
>>
>>9799206
You already posted it
>>
>>9799329
>>9799361
I've never gotten around to reading it but I've heard good things.
>>
UBIK
A Scanner Darkly
VALIS

What's your least favorite?
I'm torn between Counter-Clock World and Time Out of Joint
>>
Valis is simultaneously the funniest, saddest, realist and wackiest book I've ever read. Full marks.
>>
>>9799206
Gonna share an unpopular opinion here: pretty much all of his work is really bad.

Having said that, VALIS is one of the good ones, and it's very good.
>>
>>9799535

>Gonna share an unpopular opinion here: pretty much all of his work is really bad.

I don't agree but I sympathise. IMO he's a really good genre fiction writer who uses simple allegories to convey everyday complexities. He's also dead RIP.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is his best book, as boring as that is to say.
>>
>>9799508
Ubik is objectively his worst and you like only because youve heard others praise it.
>>
>>9799579

Ive read about half of his novels. I dont care for the opinions of other fans. But I'll bite objectively how?
>>
I've only read Ubik which I really liked, is it really his worst? What should I read next, Valis? Flow my tears?
>>
>>9799728

If you like Ubik check out Three Stigmata and A Maze of Death. It's far from his worst and the other anon hasnt really read enough PKD (likely) or he'd be listing some real trash like Puttering and some of his hastily written amphetamine driven works from the 60s.
>>
>>9799329
>>9799361
Why is VALIS considered advanced reading?I find it more straightforward than his other works. If anything it explains them.
But then many people recommend reading an author's magnum opus last when in my experience that is always the best place to start.This is generally the point at which his ideas have finally clarified and he can put them forward in a systematized way. Then reading his earlier works is just an extra to help you gain further insight into his worldview.
While I also relate to VALIS most i think I would prefer some of his other works. I think I also lean towards A Scanner Darkly though I am also partial to The Man in the High Castle because it pulls of such a simple idea so elegantly. It was my first time of really feeling I connect with him.I don't know if it is considered just a meme book around these parts.
>>
>>9799206
Thats my favourite

>>9799508
My least favourote was VALIS. Mostly senseless theological rambling
>>
>>9799853
But if you read VALIS first, you will read all his other works as lesser reflections of it, when really they should be read as chapters leading to the finale that is VALIS.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.