[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the essential psychology books. I never read one in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1484359767984.jpg (337KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1484359767984.jpg
337KB, 1920x1200px
What are the essential psychology books. I never read one in my life and im intrested in the subject
>>
>>9797926
I couldn't write a definitive list as I am a dilletante of the psyche but "Man and His Symbols" by Jung and "Eros and Civilization" by Herbert Marcuse were both great.
>>
>>9798967
If OP is interested in actual psychology and not a bunch of crap you're doing it wrong

OP tell me what your interested in (personality, creativity, intelligence, cognitive biases etc.) and I could give you some books

One recent book is Behave by Sapolsky
>>
>>9798967
>>9799031
Don't take it personally but psychoanalysis is not psychology and not science and I can't stand it
>>
>>9799097
No you are absolutely right, psychology is a diverse field and OP should probably have been more specific.
>>
>>9797926
William James' Psychology (short course)
The Interpretation of Dreams
Archetypes of the Collective Unconscious
The Practice and Theory of Individual Psychology (Adler)
>>
>>9797926
Comfy picture friend, easy on the comfy bugs.
>>
>>9798967
>>9799031
>>9799353
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*takes breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
OP there is a difference between psychology as a science, and psychoanalysis which isn't, even if it may have some things right.
>>9799031
>Behave by Sapolsky
This is the most up-to-date popular science book on behaviour that you'll find. For cognitive biases you could go with "Thinking, fast and slow", or just look up papers or find an appropriate textbook. Then there's authors like Steven Pinker, Dan Ariely, David M. Buss and Scott Barry Kaufman you can look for; they have written books as well as papers, though I myself have only looked at the papers from Kaufman and Buss. You can also look for neuroscientist Dick Swaab and psychologist Gerd Gigerenzer.

If you want to learn about personality, the consensus is the Big Five personality, and Jordan Peterson has lectures on that - which I enjoyed but not the metaphysical parts and I'm not interested in Peterson otherwise.

There is also cognitive research within political science with books like the Righteous Mind, Our Political Nature and Predisposed. There's a book on cognitive biases from an evolutionary perspective called The Enigma of Reason. Another book argues why religion comes more natural to us as science from a cognitive standpoint called "Why religion is natural and science is not"

If you are interested in mental disorders I can give you suggestions, one example is Simon Baron-Cohen who is an expert on autism, though I personally find some of his ideas questionable, like systemizing vs emphatising.

I would suggest looking for textbooks as well but be aware that quality between those differs as well.

And if you are really curious look for the authors I mentioned in google scholar, look for the books I mentioned and click on which papers cite it.

Hopefully this was helpful.
>>
The problem with empirical psychology is that you cannot quantity the psyche. You cannot measure it. You can perhaps "measure" observable behavior and infer from that what might be the nature of the psyche in question. But there is no actual science of the psyche. Perhaps empirical psychology might assist neuroscience in elucidating the nature of those very basic mental entities structuring experience or cognition, like body perception, facial recognition, sensory modality, pattern detection, etc. These are very abstract structures, and we only become aware of them by considering people with mental disorders (like synesthesia or autism or psychopathy). But again there is no science of the symbolic, existential or spiritual reality of psychic life. That's the domain of psychoanalysis or phenomenology. So it just depends on the approach you care to take. The kind of information you're looking for.
>>
File: 1476332484925.jpg (505KB, 2048x1441px) Image search: [Google]
1476332484925.jpg
505KB, 2048x1441px
>>9798967
Thanks for the recomendations anon.
>>9799031
Sorry for not being more specific. As i said i have never read a book about psychology so i have no clue on what i would like but i would like to understand human behaviour, why people do the things they do, maybe even get to know myself better.
>>9799353
Thanks for the recomendations anon.
>>9799380
I have some more if you would like.
>>9799390
Is their advice bad? What do you suggest?
>>9799397
Thanks for explaining anon i will certainly do that.
>>9799533
Thanks for the advice anon.
>>
Where do I start with psychoanalysis? Interpretation of Dreams? Where from there?
>>
>>9799533
I disagree with you wholeheartly, but I thank you for being intellectually honest

I think we can agree that there are limitations to emperical psychology, but for me it isn't about lacking a science of symbolic*, existential or spirtual reality, but rather that the brain is a complex system, and a network, which means that reductionism cannot fully explain the whole

*Look for Terrence Deacon
>>
>>9799380
>comfy

I guess someone didn't notice the bear stalking the doggos
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.