[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one of these is best for learning about Greek mythology?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: books.png (663KB, 905x500px) Image search: [Google]
books.png
663KB, 905x500px
Which one of these is best for learning about Greek mythology?
>>
>>9797412
Left.

Bulfinch's is largely the same thing but Graves supplies some cultural and etymological history with each story, as well as some theorizing about what symbols mean or references were made. Hamilton is reddit tier; okay if you know absolutely nothing.
>>
File: Porky reading Graves.png (110KB, 467x360px) Image search: [Google]
Porky reading Graves.png
110KB, 467x360px
I liked Graves' Greek Myths, but they are only simplifications (all followed by brief musings that irritate scholars)
I haven't read Bulfinch or Hamilton's, though Her The Greek Way was very good.

>>9797433
>okay if you know absolutely nothing.
Why must you insist on advertising for sites you claim to hate? What is this neurosis everyone on this site has?
>>
>>9797441

>tripfag is also a redditor

Quelle suprise
>>
>>9797441
sorry chinkmoot. reddit is a place that is rather plebian in nature, i was making a derogatory comparison and not advertising. get a grip of your emotions man. that said i enjoyed graves musings but i am not a perpetually offended scholar and didn't put too much stock in them anyway.

also Bulfinch's has mythologies besides the Greeks. OP said he was interested specifically in Greeks.
>>
>>9797445
I'm not. I don't like the layout. I've only ever heard of it and taken one link *from* 4chin.

>>9797454
>Bulfinch
Good to know
>>
>>9797412
I only read Hamilton. I thought it was really good in the sense she manages to round up several myths in a single thread. This makes it easy to follow and understand where everything is coming from: dynasty wise, god wise, etc.

I was not a complete beginner and thought it was a good handbook. Having said that, it does feel a little bit as wikipedia entries, but if you are looking for a fast overview and perhaps using it as a stepping stone to reading future books like the Aeneid or The Odyssey, it is a good starting point.
>>
>>9797464
One click rule redditor.
>>
>>9797472
Yup, which is why Hamilton is the go-to. It's a great primer for you then to read the actual works.
>>
File: starting with the greeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
starting with the greeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
>>9797412
OP, I heard you were thinking of Starting with the Greeks
>>
Just finished The Greek Myths about a week ago, it attempts to provide i) a condensed account of each myth ii) a historical analysis of what it is about, the pre-Helenic culture that was Matriarchal and practiced King sacrifice, the migration of a Patriarchal society into Greece, cultural practices, etc
Some are the best parts are drawing comparisons to other proto-indo-european myths and religions - I never even realized the similarity in Celtic lore and the death of Arthur
>>
File: 4chan.png (622KB, 668x503px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.png
622KB, 668x503px
>>9797445
>>9797454
>hurr reddit
>>
>>9797412
The best in the West is Roberto Calasso's Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.