[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

people who actually read books: do you care about getting them dirty?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: old-dirty-books-10533955.jpg (200KB, 1300x1390px) Image search: [Google]
old-dirty-books-10533955.jpg
200KB, 1300x1390px
people who actually read books: do you care about getting them dirty?
>>
Depends which book.

These days I'm reading Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, I take a shitload of notes inside the book so I try to keep it in good shape so I'll be able to go back to it later, maybe in a few years. It's not the same for, let's say, a fiction work with a cheap edition, which I will probably never read again.

Mostly it depends of how much the book costs, if I am really interested in it and if I intend to keep it for years and years.
>>
I buy mouldy books, torn books and yellow books so no I really don't care.
Unless it's a library book or an expensive edition I got for a gift it getting dirty means nothing to me.
>>
>>9795072
Just adds the charm
>>
>>9795072
I used to, really terribly. Then I realized that no matter what I do, if I read them, they're going to get rugged. It took a while, but I got over it. Now I actually kind of enjoy it.

I still have a couple books that I don't even read, because I want to keep them nice. For example, my edition of The Once and Future King. I read it on my kindle because I don't want to fuck it up.
>>
>>9795072
If I paid for it.
>>
>>9795072
no, but i dont ruin them on purpose either
>>
the cover can catch some dust, but i have an absolute disdain when someone fucks up the pages

I am so triggered when people smash the fucking pages when going through it.

just hold gently by the fucking tip, no need to bend them all over the place.
>>
tive
>>
>>9795072
its just a book. if i can get another one i dont care. i rarely tape pages back
>>
I don't care if they get dirty, but I don't do anything that would make them dirty. I keep my hands clean, I don't eat and read, etc.
>>
If it's a nice book, yes. I try to take care of my belongings. I plan on keeping them forever. I have books I've read 3+ times that look brand new, and it's not at all difficult to keep them that way. It would take more effort for me to make them look like some of the shitty books I see here than it does to just hold them like an adult.
>>
File: blaettern.jpg (117KB, 399x301px) Image search: [Google]
blaettern.jpg
117KB, 399x301px
>>9795072
Yes.
>>
>>9795072
Dirt and dog ears are heresy!

>>9795094
Flatulist!
>>
After I read a page I eat it to digest the information so it doesn't bother me
>>
no, i read for the contents on the page, not for the page
>>
>>9796756
After I read a page I burn it in order to destroy the independent existence of the information therein. Whatever exists, whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent. These anonymous pages may seem little or nothing in the world. Yet the smallest crumb can devour us. Any smallest thing beneath yon rock out of men’s knowing. Only nature can enslave man and only when the existence of each last entity is routed out and made to stand naked before him will he be properly suzerain of the earth.
>>
I care about even the last trade paperback in my collection, even if it was less than a dollar.
>>
I was taught to take care of books.
>>
I actually cherish the dirtiness if I've done it myself. There's a certain satisfaction knowing that this book has undergone change along with me, besides just the markings I've made in it.

Obviously a fancy coffeetable book should be preserved, but sometimes I think about that scene in The Great Gatsby where he has bookshelves of apparently new books. If you take enough care of your book for it to be readable, you can be less anxious about scratching the cover, and also get more street /lit/ cred because you won't look like a pussy just pretending to read on the subway for pussy.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.