[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Academia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (8KB, 225x160px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 225x160px
Hi /lit/

I'm Scandinavian, and finished university in 2014. My master's thesis got the highest possible grade. I'm now trying to get a PhD position, but naturally it's difficult within the humanities, not least since the positions are fully-funded and the competition is strong.

I have a friend who struggled IMMENSELY with his master's degree in sociology. It took him around a year (we have 4 months to finish our master's thesis in my country), and he got stressed, and had severe physical reactions to the stress etc etc. A few days ago he landed a PhD position, somehow, and I'm envious as hell, and I don't know how to cope with it. I don't think he deserves it, and then I feel bad for not being able to support my friend and be happy for him. His position is in an irrelevant country, and apparently they were excited about a) his nationality, b) his ability to speak and write English, and c) his willingness to spend 4 years in their irrelevant country. His ability to research and do the job is entirely secondary, and it's the complete opposite when I apply: all they care about is the research.

Still. How do I deal with this? What do I read? Fucking academia. There's just too many qualified people here. The effort I have to put into every PhD application is insane.
>>
>>9794718
>His position is in an irrelevant country
What country?
>>
You sound like a good little worker bee who is inwardly consumed with envy, resentment, and rage, so I'm sure you'll fit right in in academia.

t. grad student at top 10. not in an irrelevant country.
>>
>>9794718

You sound like a faggotstriverpoor.
>>
>>9794718
>I'm Scandinavian
>My master's thesis got the highest possible grade
>we have 4 months to finish our master's thesis in my country

If you're Swedish there are only two passing grades, Pass and Pass with distinction, meaning that your getting the highest grade is irrelevant. To properly help you we need to know what country you're from and what your discipline is. But it sounds like your friend realised he wouldn't make it into a top tier university and went for a second-rate one, whereas you feel that you're entitled to a position at a top tier university just because you got a good grade.

Thing is, a good grade just means that you have understood the craft of writing an academic text, not that your thoughts are interesting. And while deadlines are important, you get a position as a PhD student because the committee thinks your ideas are worth exploring, and compatible with their capacity to supervise your work.

Now tell us your country and discipline, and which country your friend got accepted into.
>>
>>9794718
>his master's degree in sociology
For some reason I always pictured Northern Europeans as above retarded meme sciences like sociology.
>>
>>9794795

Sweden isn't the only country in Scandinavia.

>which country your friend got accepted into.

Slovenia
>>
>>9794718
>There's just too many qualified people here.
>>
>phd in humanities
Lel.
>>
Remind me what phd stands for again
>>
>>9794863
pretty huge dick
>>
>>9794863

doctor of philosophy ironically enough
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.