[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>“I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 5223.jpg (68KB, 495x660px) Image search: [Google]
5223.jpg
68KB, 495x660px
>“I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound or stab us. If the book we're reading doesn't wake us up with a blow to the head, what are we reading for? So that it will make us happy, as you write? Good Lord, we would be happy precisely if we had no books, and the kind of books that make us happy are the kind we could write ourselves if we had to. But we need books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. That is my belief.”

Do you agree, /lit/?
>>
ye
>>
>>9793448
I genuinely can't enjoy "feel good" or happy books any more, they just feel so hollow and delusional. I'm not even a depressed or sad person at all, I just find literature delving into painful/tortured perspectives actually leaves me something to think about after I'm done reading. For example if the Underground man ended up taking care of/living with Liza instead of how the ending plays out, I wouldn't have given it another thought. I still have trouble with the epilogue of Crime and Punishment for this reason.
>>
>>9793786
I sort of agree. Reading ""serious"" literature has crushed sentimentality for me. I cringe at the average Hollywood flick nowadays whereas before I could be immersed completely in the feeling.
>>
>>9793448
That's one of the most brilliant quotes I have ever read, and I agree entirely.
>>
>>9793448
Based
>>
>>9793448
Let me take a stab at this Mexican motherfucker right here, this lazy bed ridden beaner with daddy issues. First off, my young and short friend, you are just a small part of a bigger world, a very small part, you especially small, and the world big and bossy like your dad, listen up son! You got whipped and now you like it, yea, you like getting smacked don't you, oh yeah, you wanna get devestated huh? Faggot. Grow the fuck up. Beat down the fucking door with eight legs and do what cockaroach motherfuckers do best and I don't know what that is, frankly the thought frightens me, but seriously, in all respect, fuck you.

>continues rereading Ferdinand the Bull
>>
>>9793904
>Kafka
>Mexican

Peek uno, senor
>>
File: IMG_4695.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4695.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
>>9793906
Thinking I don't know Kafka was australian
>>
Life is too short to read books of only one slice of the spectrum.
The Castle is straight up pessimistic paranoia.
>>
>>9794060
Thanks literari genius
>>
File: 1470417952684.jpg (543KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470417952684.jpg
543KB, 1280x720px
>>9793786
>>9793882
Pretty much. Catharsis is for the audience.
>>
Kafka literally wrote that in a letter when he was 20. Don't ascribe so much meaning to it or you'll reveal your uber-pseudness.
>>
File: Rimbaud.png (289KB, 664x874px) Image search: [Google]
Rimbaud.png
289KB, 664x874px
>>9794172
*pisses on you*
>>
>>9794178
>degenerate, pretentious French literal faggot

No thanks. Only further proves my point.
>>
>>9794196
>My room is clean Daddy, p-please don't hit me!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.