[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good examples of a true intellectual, seeing as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: 1472244994032.jpg (370KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472244994032.jpg
370KB, 640x640px
What are some good examples of a true intellectual, seeing as /lit/ likes to call internationally renowned tenured philosophy professors pseuds?
>>
>>9792769
peterson for his views on trannies and leftism/postmodernism/cultural marxism

changed my life. I will not call you 'she', degenerate loser. I'm white and masculine, and you can't attack that, honey. Read Schopenhauer's on Women if you want to know why your inferior
>>
File: 127596_web.jpg (205KB, 1440x1534px) Image search: [Google]
127596_web.jpg
205KB, 1440x1534px
>>9792769
Fito Paez
>>
>>9792782
who?
>>
>>9792779
Peterson never claims that women are inferior to men. You made that up.
>>
>>9792779

*You're.
>>
>>9792769
You go to universities to see the true intellectuals. Those whom you've heard about because they're popular with the masses only talk dumbed down things. That is unless they're talking politics, as the masses are more informed in that area than in other theoretical stuff and actually are interested. But they have to admit they're doing that, even if they have works in other fields (see Chomsky). Peterson is an inferior intellectual because he got famous for politics/self-help while never actually claiming to do that.
>>
Noam Chomsky
>>
>>9794128
>There are people who unironically believe this
>>
>>9794132
I fail to see the problem, care to elaborate?
>>
>>9794122
This, to be completely honest
The greatest living philosopher, for instance, are largely unknown to the masses, even those with a hobbyist interest in field. Only other academics appreciate and dialogue their work
>>
File: Kripke.jpg (51KB, 366x349px) Image search: [Google]
Kripke.jpg
51KB, 366x349px
Here's the correct answer. Feel free to ignore any other replies.
>>
>>9794202
>analytic "philosophy"
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>9794132
nigga if anything people criticize him for being too much of an intellectual
>>
>>9792779
Wrong. You clearly haven't watched him argue with SJWs. When someone asks "what if someone asks you to refer to them as a different gender?" He flat out responds with "it depends on how they ask".

He isn't against transexuals, you're just an asshole.
>>
>>9794175
Name 10 worthwhile philosophers unknown outside of academics
>>
>>9794872
Kimberly Crenshaw
>>
Intellectuals are THE FUCKING WORST, there's no such thing as a "true" intellectual because there's no such thing as a "false" intellectual; it's just self-aggrandizement from people who are smart enough to climb to the top of the meritocracy but still too dumb to realize that they don't have the answers to every last problem.
>>
>>9792769
Wittgenstein, Bacon, Goethe, Leonardo, Newton were all insanely clever

Eco must surely be one of the most well-read people
>>
>>9795088
oh and Cicero
>>
>>9792769
The Greeks
>>
>>9794069
>>9794861
Cmon guys,he is being ironic
>>
>>9794141
Chomski is the precursor of the modern "alternative facts"-meme: he never lies, but he cherrypicks facts to present convincing but extremely oversimplified, easily digestible narratives that teenage underachievers eat up.
>>
>>9792769
which tenured philosophy professor? and to be fair, philosophy is pre-law, so calling them pseuds is the least of it.
>>
>>9795093
>>9795088
Yeah, that's a good list. I don't know much about Leonardo or Netwon, but I'll take your word. I would also add Aristotle, Posidonius, Pico della Mirandola, Leibniz, and Hegel.
>>
>>9795359
not him but Newton's a big deal for English because his work on lenses is the first vernacular science book iirc.
>adding Aristotle to a list with Wittgenstein
made me kek, probably unintentional
>>
>>9795359
>>9795370
What's the reason for the kek? That W's propositional logic over took A's? W never had encyclopedic knowledge, but his mind was inconceivably sharp; different reasons for them being on that list.
>>
>>9795359
how have I never heard of Pico della Mirandola? what should I read?
>>
>>9792769
cool image
>>
>>9795409
No, Wittgenstein pointedly didn't read Aristotle. One of his contemporaries asked him about it casually, and Witty was like
>oh no the philosophy professor hasn't read aristotle OHNOES how *could* he
Witty could be a bit of a dick but it led to some hilarious exchanges.
>>
>>9795693
The Oration on the Dignity of Man.
Hackett has a nice edition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oration_on_the_Dignity_of_Man
>>
>>9795946
Is there any benefit in studying the Kabbalah?
>>
Chomsky
>>
>>9795325
What you're referring to is probably his political activism, which is not the reason which I would label him an intellectual. His works in linguistics alone is enough to give him that title at the very least.
>>
File: 350px-TJKirk.jpg (33KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
350px-TJKirk.jpg
33KB, 350x350px
unironically one of the few intellectuals on youtube worth listening to
>>
>>9797084
is that the guy who shoved a banana up his arse
>>
>>9797099
It was a plantain
>>
>>9797099
yea, and some other shit too
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.