[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

question: how do i get into reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1476285717226.gif (138KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1476285717226.gif
138KB, 270x270px
I know this is a retarded question but i really want to get into reading books. I always end up losing interest in what i read. Any recommendations?
also i have adhd so that may play a role in this
>>
File: 1500231246193.jpg (106KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1500231246193.jpg
106KB, 645x968px
my recommendation is you read a fucking book

everyone has "ADHD"
>>
>>9791839
but anon i always lose interest in what i read. Even if i enjoy the book i still get bored
>>
>>9791818
read a book you actually like
>>
>>9791862
see >>9791846
>>
>>9791846
stop being a fucking cuck and take some responsibility for your actions.
>>
>>9791846
Then you don't really enjoyed.
I read my favorite book in 3 days and it was 1100 pages long.
Keep trying to find something you really like
>>
there is a difference between liking the idea of reading and liking to read. evidently you want to want to read but when you sit down to do it you don't actually want to.
>>
>>9791870
then you haven't found something that you like enough.
Look, adhd is shit. I have it real bad, but the thing about adhd is that you CAN focus- hyperfocus in fact, on things that are interesting to you. Not being able to focus on what you like is more a sign of depression than anything. Sometimes you're in the mood sometimes you're not. Just try a huge variety of books and see what sticks. Come back to ones you like later, and see if you do better.

I've read some weird fucking books, like wide sargasso sea and shit like that. I would never have read that given the option, but I had it in my hands and I read it because it was there. Try reading short books. Like, 60 pages long and shit.
>>
>losing interest
>getting bored

What do you mean by this? I'm not being facetious: what does these terms mean as applied to your reading?

Everybody gets bored of an activity if they do it long enough: it's not absurd to be bored of an action-packed game if you play it for 3 hours straight.

Losing interest might be worse, but then you have to ask yourself why you're losing interest. I heavily disagree with the idea that "you just have to find something you like" because you'll be missing out on some great books or great insights due to just not being able to get over yourself.

Key takeaways:
1) Have realistic expectations as to what constitutes a reading hobby, especially when you're starting out. Reading just 10 minutes a day before you get bored/tired is fine.

2) If you're losing interest, try to figure out why. If the book sucks, then you can stop. But if it's something else, try to counteract it: if you're having trouble visualizing certain objects or scenes, then take a day to really familiarize yourself with the setting and pictures of various things related to what you've read.
>>
>>9791846
If you really like it you will keep reading it, keep trying
>>
>>9791818
>I always end up losing interest in what i read.
Then start caring you stupid fuckwit.
>>
If you don't have interest in reading, don't push it.
find other hobbies.
>>
Read Virgil's eclogues I guarantee you my nigga that these poems will have your legs duct taped to your chair and your hands super glued to the book and your eyes forced open by little metal contraptions just look at this shieeet
>You, Tityrus, lie under the canopy of a spreading beech, wooing the woodland Muse on slender reed, but we are leaving our country’s bounds and sweet fields. We are outcasts from our country; you, Tityrus, at ease beneath the shade, teach the woods to re-echo “fair Amaryllis.”
Beautiful ain't it. Buy a book of Virgil and read it nigga.
>>
>>9791818
If you're interested in reading, but can't maintain interest in what you're reading them can I ask what you are reading for? Are you looking for anything in particular?
>>
>>9791818
Discipline is key. Take breaks at first, and slowly build your attention span. Read the book with an audiobook recording to keep a steady reading pace, and x2 the speed if necessary.
>>
>>9793072
>slowly build your attention span
This is the key to the whole thing OP. Think of it like a muscle. Concentrate on reading your book for as long as you are enjoying it/comprehending it well, then stop when you feel like you're mentally done. Do this every day and you'll be able to focus for longer and longer
>>
>>9792912
What translation is that, lad? It's very nice
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.