[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proust or Joyce??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0129.jpg (42KB, 656x402px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0129.jpg
42KB, 656x402px
I'm flying out to Paris for the first time tomorrow and can't decide what reading material would best augment my visit. So far I have Baudelaire's Les Fleur du Mal and Sartre's Nausea for light reading. Can't decide whether I should reread Ulysses for the third time but with Gilbert's guide or start reading Proust's Remembrance. I know Joyce wrote a large part of Ulysses in Paris but feel I might miss all the Parisian overtones that I could get with Proust. On the other hand, I feel like since I'll be traveling and sight seeing a lot I may not be able to give Proust the attention he deserves on a first read. Also, I only have Swann's Way at the moment and may not read the rest for some time. Any thoughts /lit/izens?
>>
>>9791524
You have a few shit books with you already, so take Joyce
>>
Proust, definitely.

Nice bait tho, what do you really expect of something like this from an anglo site? Obviously Joyce (a capital name) is gona have all the recognition in retarded vs liek your shitpost.
>>
>>9791524
There aren't any Parisian overtones in Ulysses. Proust would seem the most ideal here, especially in light of your other books.
>>
Please work on getting to the point in your sentences.

>what reading material would best augment my visit
>but feel i might miss all the PARISIAN OVERTONES
>On the other hand, I feel like since
>>
>>9791524
If you read Ulysses once, you would know that it is about Dublin, and Dublin alone. Hemingway's A Moveable Feast is more relevant to Paris than both Joyce, who wasn't even writing about Paris, and Proust, who came from an earlier Paris.
>>
>>9792379
>There aren't any Parisian overtones in Ulysses.
Except in Proteus when Dedalus literally recounts his stay in Paris you fucking pseud. Leave /lit/ forever.
>>
>>9793353
>Except in Proteus
Are you implying that because Dedalus speaks about Paris in one episode, the book automatically has Parisian overtones? Dedalus is but one character in the book, and it is a large book. I am not saying that Anon is right, but that perhaps your criteria for a book having Parisian overtones should be more than one episode/chapter.
>>
>>9791524
I have the sensation that you are a very annoying and pretentious woman
>>
>>9793353
Pretty brief, and not the sort of overtones you'd get in a book primarily concerned with Paris.
>>
File: IMG_5977.jpg (21KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5977.jpg
21KB, 200x250px
>>
>>9791524
Proust was neurotic and obsessed with his mother. Joyce ditched his square family, country, religion, and culture and became an individual among individuals.
>>
>>9793391
>Dedalus is but one character in the book

god you guys can be difficult to stand,

>>9793883
might be onto something, especially considering how "in the center of things" stein was in paris

>>9793397
why do you comment, did you hate your mother?

>>9791524
and finally, go for proust. You're going to fucking Paris and have already read joyce, what are you doing
>>
Joyce is a better prose writer.
>>
>>9791524
Joyce. Enjoy Paris for Paris. Read Joyce because you and i both know you want to read it a third time, and a fourth, and so on. Proust can wait in the corner. that's what he deserves for being rude to Joyce at that dinner party.
>>
>>9791524
>I'm flying out to Paris for the first time
Paris is lost. You have my condolences, as it's obvious you still maintain a romanticized imagination of "m-muh most romantic city on earf".

Take care of yourself out there.
>>
>>9791524
Soumission.
>>
Rat Man of Paris by Paul West.
a neglected classic.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.