[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gurdjieff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: gurdjieff.jpg (22KB, 325x554px) Image search: [Google]
gurdjieff.jpg
22KB, 325x554px
What do you make of this guy?
>>
Bronson was a good movie.
>>
>>9790002
He pioneered 20th century occultism and cultism along with Crowley. Guy was a con artists and a trickster living at the fringe of society and law for longer periods. Realized there was good money in self development and cult followings. He paved the way for guys like Manson and Castañera

He's worth reading but you should probably start with Ouspensky
>>
>>9790509
Why Ouspensky?
>>
>>9790509
>Guy was a con artists and a trickster living at the fringe of society and law for longer periods. Realized there was good money in self development and cult followings. He paved the way for guys like Manson and Castañera
Self-serving frauds don't spend 6 years busting their ass to write incredibly complex, coherent, and compassionate 1,100 page long books including all their teachings for what they think will be the future benefit of humanity.

>>9790527
He makes more sense when you first read him than Gurdjieff does. In certain ways, he even explicates Gurdjieff's system (or parts of it) more coherently than Gurdjieff himself does. But whether this is necessarily a good thing could be seen one way or another, because Gurdjieff thought only by working hard to understand his teachings could they actually become "yours", in the sense of being permanently a part of you.

There are many ways of looking at Gurdjieff but if anything, he was not a simple fraud, he believed in what he did.
>>
>>9790002
Among the testimonies collected by Pauwels, a particularly juicy one relates to the power, attributed also to certain Yogis in the Orient (and referred to by an author as worthy of credence as Sir John Woodroffe) “to call the woman back to the woman.” The person who reported the anecdote was in a New York restaurant with a young, self-assured female writer, to whom he pointed out the “famous” Gurdjieff seated at a nearby table. The young woman stared at him with an air of superiority but then turned pale and nearly fainted. This surprised her companion, who knew how self-possessed she was. Later, she confided to him: “It was revolting! I looked at this man, and he was surprised by my glance. He then stared at me coldly, and, at that moment, I felt intimately assaulted with such precision that I reached orgasm!”

sauce: https://www.counter-currents.com/2011/08/mr-gurdjieff/
>>
>>9790527
Ouspensky was his pupil and laid out a more comprehensive explanation of G's 4th way.
>>
>>9791427
>Self-serving frauds don't spend 6 years busting their ass to write incredibly complex, coherent, and compassionate 1,100 page long books including all their teachings for what they think will be the future benefit of humanity.
I didn't call him a self serving fraud. It's a matter of fact that he did various shady hustles in order to survive. I am not discrediting his work either. Just pointed out that he caught a trend (or need or demand) early on and profited from it. Jung did the same and was disowned by Freud over it. The deep spiritual depravation of the secular western society after the triumph of scientism / positivism. Loads of spiritual gurus profited greatly from this, providin guidance and insight for the hungry seeking souls. And Gurdjeff was a pioneer in this field.
>>
>>9791447
Glorious
>>
>>9791447
I'm becoming a mystic just to learn this.
>>
>>9791716
OK, seems fair enough to me. Gurdjieff himself even admitted that he wasn't too scrupulous in how he got money because he felt it was for a good cause. To say that he "paved any way" for future hustlers seems to me kinda ridiculous, though, since cult leaders and gurus have almost always fleeced followers since mankind's conception, since people have always had a need to follow someone, something, or the other, and this someone-something-or-the-other preferably has a spiritual and existential overtone to it that answers all the problems of one's life.

Funny anecdote about Gurdjieff's attitude towards money:

"GURDJIEFF'S TRIP TO the United States had been made, according to him, for various reasons—one of the most important ones being to make enough money to keep the Institute going at the Prieure. Mr. Gurdjieff did not own the property, but rented it on a long-term lease, and since very few of the students were "paying guests", money was needed to make the various rental payments as well as to provide the food that we were unable to grow or produce on the land; to pay the light and gas and coal bills. And Mr. Gurdjieff's own expenses were also heavy at that time: he maintained an apartment in Paris, and had had to pay for the passage of all the students he had taken to America with him— enough, for instance, to be able to put on a demonstration of his gymnastics while he was there.

"On his return, he frequently regaled us with stories about his adventures in America, about the American habit of embracing with open arms any new "movement", "theory", or "philosophy", simply in order to divert themselves, and about their gullibility in general. He would tell us how it was almost impossible for them not to give him money—the very act of giving him money made them feel important, and he called this "extortion" of them "shearing sheep". He said that most of them had pockets that were so full of green folding "stuff" that it gave them itchy fingers and they could not wait to part with it."
>>
>>9791837
>Another "enlightened" person who talks like some schoolboy who just finished ripping off a gullible tourist
This is pushing me further and further away from atheism and towards some state religion with which build people back up against these
>>
Was he on the same level as Crowley?
>>
>>9792026
Crowley is an easily digestible circus clown compared to Gurdjeff.
>>
>>9792064
who is this gurdjieff guy
>>
>>9792320
One of the better /lit/ memes---> https://warosu.org/lit/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=gurdjieff
>>
Gurdjieff
>>
There's a "Fourth Way" folder containing most of Gurdjieff and Ouspenskys work inside this beast:

https://mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ!UYhCVTDY
>>
>>9792000
"At that time, [Gurdjieff] told me that many people—people with 'middle-class western world morality' had questions about, and objections to, his methods of procuring money, which he always needed for the support of the Prieure and also of many of the students who were not able to pay him anything. He said, almost angrily, that our kind of morality was based on money; that the only thing that troubled us about such occurrences was the fact that he had, apparently, extracted money without having given anything in return."
>>
>>9792630
it seems like an esoteric lacan
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.