[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: forest 2.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
forest 2.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Anyone here trying to write things with literary qualities? I have a solid semi-final draft of fiction book that I am hoping has some literary elements to it, but its hard not to make it obvious or seem like I'm reaching. Any other aspiring /lit/ writers here?
>>
>>9786510

I'm writing a semi-literary YA Fantasy sort of thing; that is, written very accessibly, but with some portion of craft, similar to Tolkien or Madeleine L'Engle, perhaps a bit more consciously literary. There are very few books for that level of reader that don't insult the reader's intelligence.

Also because fantasy isn't taken seriously by adults unless it includes lots of swearing, sex, and an autistic magic system where spells are programmable like Javascript.

I'm already aware there's less than a 1% chance anyone will ever care about it, but reading high literature and writing middle literature is fun when its too hot outside to meet people or have fun.
>>
What does it mean to write with "literary qualities"? I've been told that I have a knack for writing multiple times but haven't attempted to write anything serious just yet.
>>
>>9786547
Literary quality = deeper meaning?
I tried to add in some deeper meaning, some emotional connection to the meaning of actions, some cultural commentary, etc into what I have written so it goes beyond a basic "entertaining novel." Think YA vs Hemingway.
>>
>>9786547
I take it to mean that the story is written with some care put into the language (the craft of writing) as well as the other elements of story (plot, character, etc.). Literary quality is what the "muh prose" people wank to.
>>
>>9786565
>some care put into the language
That's a good way to put it.
>>
I wrote three books, two of them are more commercial fiction more than anything, the other is more literary oriented.

I've been focusing on shorts stories lately though, getting some published even. Some are literary, some are just fun.
>>
>>9786685
Are they on amazon? Care to give us a link?
I've got a short story collection on amazon as well!
>>
>>9786746
Nah, the book arent published at all. I'm hoping to send them out to agents once I work up some more writing creds. Some of my stories are published in actual lit mags
>>
>>9786761
Oh nice. I'm all about that self-publishing. Seen too many people get burned by vanity presses these days.
>>
I am writing a collection of prose poems that I intend to publish under an oppressed nom de plume -- Tyrone III Washington (transgender)
>>
>>9786766
I'm not talking about vanity presses, but yeah it's fairly common knowledge to stay away from them
>>
I am currently working on the second book of a historical fantasy series that I've tried to put a "literary" amount of care into. The current stab at the series owes a lot to Book of the New Sun, and the prose style in particular was inspired to a large degree by the way Wolfe writes in the series. I've also done a rather Tolkien-like thing and have grounded the series in a fundamentally Christian world, where Christian (mostly Catholic) symbols and motifs crop up subtly throughout the stories.

I don't have an agent, so I'm not sure how close I am to getting the series published, which is what I'd like. When I'm done with the current book I'll probably switch gears and work on a standalone realistic/literary novel, albeit one that's full of satire and is more than a little macabre and gory. I've had ideas for it over the last few months.
>>
>>9786870
I love writing historically-accurate stuff. My book is set in 1750 and touches on events of the day, just tangentially. I'd love to write a very-accurate 1950s noire drama someday.
>>
>>9786880
I tentatively plan to someday write a big historical fantasy trilogy set during the last days of monarchial France. It starts off detailing the life of the protagonist in Louis XVI's court, then veers into alternate history when the French Revolution is prevented due to mystical means. I plan to research it exhaustively and get all the tiny details right.
>>
>>9786565
That any writing is produced without putting care into its language baffles me.
>>
>>9787226
I'm sure there is some YA love somewhere, but I can't hardly read it due to this issue. Too much "familiar" language.
>>
>>9787226

Well it's probably pretty rare that writing is produced without putting a lot of work into the language.

Even more commercial stuff puts a hell of a lot of work into it's wording, even though it's not trying to be grandiose and flourishing.

And there's ton of literary stuff that's complete incomprehensible garbage, even though the writer thought he was writing the next Ulysses. In fact probably the vast majority of it written these days falls into this category, and I'm positive 100% of it written by /lit does.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.