[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stoicism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: keep-calm.png (10KB, 600x550px) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm.png
10KB, 600x550px
Where do i start with stoicism?
I need something easy to understand before i get deeper into the heavy hitters...
>>
>>9785474
Try the stoics.
>>
File: goblet.gif (515KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
goblet.gif
515KB, 500x398px
>>9785474
This is the perfect moment for me to chime in with everyone's favourite casual /lit/ meme, "start with the Greeks".

HOWEVER

I honestly think with stoicism it's best to start with Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations". There is no better introduction.
>>
>>9785474
startus with epictetus, if anyone reads aurelius first or thinks of his works as the best of stoicism is a pseud... not even a pseud actually since stoicism can't even pretend to be intecllectual, maybe pseudo pseudo intellectual

there's some good stuff in there though, i got raised by a single mom so stoicism helped me to be a man, but take everything with a grain of salt and don't try to apply the philosophy to everything, I saw posts on reddit of people asking "what would the stoics think about eating meat?" people need to fuck off with that shit, don't read it for deep logical philosophy

also nice reddit meme pic and philosophy choice

/r/stoicism might be a better place for you m'sir
>>
Read in this order:
1. Dialogues and Essays by Seneca
2. Discourses and Selected Writings by Epictetus
3. The Handbook/Enchiridion by Epictetus
4. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>9785491
>if anyone reads aurelius first or thinks of his works as the best of stoicism is a pseud... not even a pseud actually since stoicism can't even pretend to be intecllectual, maybe pseudo pseudo intellectual

ah, monsieur...
>>
>>9785490
>>9785493
>start with aurelius

LOL! my brain is so much bigger than yours
>>
File: 1406202167160.jpg (448KB, 1280x957px) Image search: [Google]
1406202167160.jpg
448KB, 1280x957px
>>9785495
How dare you?
>>
>>9785498
what the fuck is that photo?
>>
start with stirner and then nietzsche
>>
File: thatpic.jpg (144KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
thatpic.jpg
144KB, 960x640px
>>9785512
Ray Mears on the left, Bear Grylls on the right

This pic is a metaphor for this thread with me on the left suggesting OP should start with Aurelius
>>
>>9785474
Read Pierre Hadot, The Inner Citadel
>>
File: 9780674007079-lg.jpg (81KB, 453x680px) Image search: [Google]
9780674007079-lg.jpg
81KB, 453x680px
>>9785474
>>9785531
Also the PDF is on libgen
>>
>>9785490
>>9785491
>>9785492
>>9785531
Thanks for the suggestions. Epictetus it is, i will also check out meditations and the inner citadel.

Any books dealing with applying this to everyday life?
>inb4 edgy
>>
File: triumverate.png (319KB, 475x344px) Image search: [Google]
triumverate.png
319KB, 475x344px
>>9785553
>Any books dealing with applying this to everyday life?

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>9785553
>Any books dealing with applying this to everyday life?
Well there is "The Daily Stoic" which is a book by Ryan Holiday containing 365 quotes on various subjects by various ancient Stoics with a small commentary.
There is also "A Guide to the Good Life"
These are entry level books, maybe even meme tier, but they are easy to read.

Pierre Hadot has nothing to do with that and The Inner Citadel is definitely a must read.
>>
>>9785587
"A guide to the good life" is a good starter and it takes a modern stance which is nice. But it also warps a few of Stoicism's central tenants, like the dichotomy of control.

I would recommend it, though.
>>
>>9785474
mentally troubled anon.. easy on the cuck philosophy
>>
>>9785474
Epictetus- The Discourses, Epictetus- Enchiridion, Letters from Seneca, Marcus Aurelius-Meditations. Start with The Discourses. Stoic texts are straight forward, dive in, anon.
>>
Jordan Peterson is actually a great introduction. Memes aside.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.