[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gödel, Escher, Bach

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

So, do I read it or not?
>>
>>9785426
If you're interested in formal logic, the origin of consciousness, philosophy, and you don't long meandering digressions, then read it.

Otherwise don't.
>>
>>9785443
>and you don't
and you don't mind*
>>
>>9785443
Until now I've read only philosophy, literature, and poetry. Does this book will give me some basic knowledge about mathematics/science other than philosophy?
>>
>>9785464
It's not the best introduction to the mathematical and scientific concepts. The book assumes some familiarity with most of the concepts it dives into.

Can I ask why you want to read GEB?
>>
>>9785464
Did you learn any formal logic while reading philosophy?
>>
>>9785468
>It's not the best introduction to the mathematical and scientific concepts
Because I wanted to do this, and the fact that the book deals with philosophical themes and music seemed interesting
>>9785473
Something, not very much though.
>>
>>9785496
>Because I wanted to do this, and the fact that the book deals with philosophical themes and music seemed interesting

Well. I'll take the opportunity to warn you that despite the title, Escher and Bach (art and musical concepts) are given much LESS attention than the Godel (formal systems) part. You probably will enjoy this book but I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to any of this stuff. It IS worth reading but maybe come to it after reading some gentler introductory stuff.

This is a good (and short) introductory text to Godel's Incompleteness Theorems:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godels-Proof-Routledge-Classics-Ernest/dp/0415355281/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1500634814&sr=1-3&keywords=godel

This is an excellent "popular mathematics" book which will is great for understanding why mathematics is worth learning about and give you insight into one of the most interesting slices of mathematical history:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fermats-Last-Theorem-Confounded-Greatest-x/dp/1841157910/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1500634951&sr=1-1&keywords=fermats+last+theorem

(and Simon Singh is a fantastic popular science author too)

And here's a great introduction to physics by one of the most brilliant physicists of the 20th century and one of the very few who was also a good communicator:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Easy-Pieces-Essentials-Explained/dp/0465025277/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1500635204&sr=1-1&keywords=six+easy+pieces+richard+feynman

I'm afraid I don't know any good introductions to formal systems, as I don't have a philosophical background. But there are plenty of philosophers on /lit/ who should be able to help you.
>>
>>9785520
Wow, thank you very much. I will check those out for sure.
>>
>>9785520
>>9785529
philofag here
'Copi - introduction to logic' is a pretty standard.
Both volumes of 'Gamut - logic, language and meaning' are excellent, though they have a slight focus on the linguistic side of things every now and then.
These are pretty expensive books, so just get the pdf/epub.
>>
>>9785547
thanks mate
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.