[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did 9/11 render the ending of Underworld irrelevant? DeLillo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Underworld.jpg (36KB, 218x327px) Image search: [Google]
Underworld.jpg
36KB, 218x327px
Did 9/11 render the ending of Underworld irrelevant?

DeLillo paints a picture of an ultra-capitalist, solemnly faithful, Internet dependant American future as the world's only superpower. It has nothing to rail against anymore now that the Soviet Union has fallen and they now literally take out America's trash (the nuke site in Kazhakstan). The outlook at the end of the novel is that America has no set course anymore and the future will be unpredictable because of it.

But with 9/11 occurring less than 4 years after Underworld was released, America has a new existential threat in Islamic terrorism and the future DeLillo hints at is radically changed.

It's almost spooky that the towers destroyed in the attacks are the ones that adorn the cover of the book and are mentioned several times throughout the book, mostly when they are being built.
>>
Islamic terrorism isn't an existential threat to the US.
>>
File: 1429747533033.png (2MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1429747533033.png
2MB, 1500x1000px
1. his portrait of America is still accurate. 9/11 is how the powers that be are dealing with the "end of history" without changing the status quo. fearmongering, convincing you there's something real in the way of positive change.

2. don delillo planned 9/11
>>
>>9782826
Doesnt matter if it truly is or not, as long as the public thinks it is
>>
File: 1499965511488.jpg (42KB, 593x333px) Image search: [Google]
1499965511488.jpg
42KB, 593x333px
>>9782826
>>9782843

We cold war 2.0 nao :^)
>>
>>9782843
It's been a few years since I read underworld, do I don't recall if he went over anything like this, but I'd be surprised if the book suggests that no section of the public will ever feel threatened again. I think it's debatable whether or not the public feels terrorism is capable of destroying the US.
>>
I just read Mao II, what DeLillo book should i read next?I felt like it wasnt complete or something.
>>
>>9782887
>I felt like it wasnt complete or something.
how I feel about every DeLillo book I read. he's really consistently good at being a middle of the road writer.
>>
>>9782887
White Noise and Underworld are generally considered his 2 best works, then after that Libra.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.