[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TRUTH BOMBS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1499759099641.jpg (52KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
1499759099641.jpg
52KB, 500x285px
What are some of the most scholarly truth bombs you have encountered in literature? e.g., truths about the universe, about life, etc
>>
>>9780495
-My existence is meaning and insignificant in the grand scheme of things
-Regardless of how intelligent I believe I am, in reality my intellect is laughably pathetic compared to the real creative geniuses of the world
>>
>>9780495
"Now, patience; and remember patience is the great thing, and above all things else we must avoid anything like being or becoming out of patience." from finnwake
>>
File: DT2556.jpg (64KB, 491x625px) Image search: [Google]
DT2556.jpg
64KB, 491x625px
The problem with truth bombs is that they're context-specific, by which I mean 1) what appears shocking in one context is not in another. Scientific rationality was dropping truth bombs left and right at around 1650, but it's conquered the world so thoroughly now that the Medieval Christian world it destroyed has more truth bomb potential in 2017 than it did in 1617. 2) Context-specificity means that truth bombs always have arguments behind them, and it's these arguments which give them the quality of truth. Detached from the argument, they become just "bombs," ie, banalities. But:

>The scientific desire for truth is secularized Christianity.
>There is no freedom without constraint, compulsion, and hierarchy; freedom exists within a system and is not the bursting of the system.
>Concepts which oppose each other are often mutually implicating.
>Morality, particularly indignation, often motivates us, even (especially) when we try to act and think non-morally.
>>
File: 1498468086005.jpg (8KB, 250x211px) Image search: [Google]
1498468086005.jpg
8KB, 250x211px
>>9780511
Can someone elaborate on this?
>>
if you cut a sandwich in half do you have two halves of a sandwich or two sandwiches?
>>
Coming from a "The Amazing Atheist" background

>You can't argue against moral realism without contesting several aspects essential to thriving as a social being with rational capacities
>God makes as much sense as no God and agnosticism is not the reconciliatory and pragmatic alternative you think it is just as any skeptic or heuristic approach (not to mention empirical approaches), it is ultimately a category mistake
>Determinism is highly likely to be true at the human level
>Determinism is also a meaningless idea and can't be used to compellingly argue against freedom of choice or moral responsibility not to mention state law
>If arguments for nihilism or literature about muh existential dread give you negative psychological reactions, go see a psychologist. Stop seeking philosophy's advice for non-philosophical problems.
>>
>>9780495
She got a big booty so I call her big booty
>>
Life is absurd.
There is no meaning in life beyond that which humans impose.
Morality is relative.

~~posted by a published philosopher/poet~~~
>>
>>9780582

These are all great. Especially the last one.

Ever read Fernando Pessoa? He is supposed tone the single most depressed poet there is, yet his books (and his personal dread) only evoke happiness and especially beauty in me.
>>
>>9780702

t. read camus in high school

I like the stranger, too, anon, but..
>>
"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. " -Marcus
>>
>>9780531
Good post.
>>
>>9780582
>Determinism is highly likely to be true at the human level
There is no layer unaffected by Quantum randomness. Only the observed avoid it, but only for the duration of the observation.

The easiest way to comprehend it (with simplification, obviously) is to imagine the world rendering itself from its potential.
>>
File: GONNAFREAK.jpg (160KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
GONNAFREAK.jpg
160KB, 1280x720px
>>9780566
>>
The ego or self is an illusory construct created by maladaptive evolutionary side effect called self-consciousness. Even without realizing this, you are bound by it.
>>
>>9780907
ah monsieur, what's this observed? observer? are you spreading more of those neo-Machian lies?
>>
Farting in church is socially acceptable so long as it's silent.
>>
>>9780550
Be patient and avoid not being patient.
>>
This is starting to sound like fake aphorisms thread
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.