[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinion on Ulysses and James Joyce?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 338798.jpg (70KB, 306x475px) Image search: [Google]
338798.jpg
70KB, 306x475px
Opinion on Ulysses and James Joyce?
>>
>>9780448
Share your opinion to start, fuckface
>>
>>9780448
There is a masterful performance/reading audiobook with a full cast of characters complete with atmospheric sounds and effects and music that I've probably listened to a good 20 times over now, I love it so much. It's like a sonic simulation of dublin. This bloke reviewed it better than I can:
I listened to, absorbed, choked up at, guffawed about, cackled around, and generally loved RTÉ’s 1982 dramatized, soundtracked, sound-effected, lovingly detailed recording of Ulysses, a work crammed with voices to match (if perhaps not equal) Joyce’s big fat work. This recording is not as widely available as LibriVox’s (free) full cast production or Jim Norton’s Naxos reading, but, after sampling both, I’d argue that it’s better. The Irish players bring sensitivity and humor to their roles, but beyond that pathos, the energy of RTÉ’s troupe is what really makes the book sing. Leopold Bloom gets his own voice, as does Stephen Dedalus and Molly (and all the characters). This innovation propels the narrative forward with dramatic power, and clarifies the oh-so indirectness of Joyce’s free indirect style, making the plot’s pitfalls and pratfalls more distinct and defined. There are songs (and dances) and music (and musing) and humming (and hemming and hawing and reverb). There is chanting and chawing and brouhaha. There is chaos and calamity and confusion. There is brilliance and peace and transcendence. It’s all very good, great, wonderful.
>>
>>9780448
I think it's probably the greatest novel I've ever read, even though I'd be very generous to say I fully understood maybe 5% of all of the references etc. Frank Delaney's podcast is wonderful on it too.

>>9780523
Link?
>>
File: 1500531705048.jpg (127KB, 341x443px) Image search: [Google]
1500531705048.jpg
127KB, 341x443px
>readable
>>
Whenever I see a Ulysses thread I remember that Frank Delaney passed away. Fuck this shit, man, I wish he was still here doing his weekly podcast.
>>
>>9780448
I've only read 1/2 of it a few years ago but I think I may finally finish it after restarting tonight. The writing is downright gorgeous at times.
>>
>>9780534
Not that guy, but I think this is it
https://archive.org/details/Ulysses-Audiobook
>>
>>9781412
I'll also add that I ignored everyone's advice to just barrel through it and to not worry about understanding everything and every reference. I read it alongside Ulysses Annotated by Gifford, stopping constantly to read almost every annotation and found myself enjoying it a lot more than just half understanding everything.
>>
One of the top 3-4 books I've ever read, and (apart from a few chapters, I'm fucking looking at you Eumaeus) it's simply a joy to read.
>>
The only book of the meme trilogy lit hasn't turned against.
>>
why is this board so obsessed with ulysses?

is it assigned school reading?
>>
>>9781460
>The only book of the meme trilogy lit hasn't turned against.
No, it's just that people who pretend to like Joyce's cantankerous pointless rambling are so toxic that it's not even worth the effort to troll them.
>>
>>9781462
>why is this board so obsessed with ulysses?
>is it assigned school reading?
No, it's the canonical novel for undergraduates who are desperate to prove that they're "fucking really smart". (I.e., it's the first Google hit on clickbait sites when you search for "best book evar".)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.