[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese Classics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: .jpg (56KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
56KB, 500x334px
What is the Japanese equivalent of "The Greeks" or Homer/Iliad/Aurelius/Plato/Aristotle/etc?

Give me your best Japanese literature. No modern bullshit, no Murakami, no geisha fuckery. Classics.
>>
>>9778148
>What is the Japanese equivalent of "The Greeks" or Homer/Iliad/Aurelius/Plato/Aristotle/etc?
The Chinese
>>
i haven't read it but when people say "don quixote" was the first novel people respond that actually "the book of genji" was the first novel. so that one must be good i guess.
>>
>>9778148
The death poems.
>>
>>9778162
Familiar with that one. Thank you nonetheless.

>>9778156
I forgot I'm also on a weeaboo forum where they think Japanese "culture" is pure anime, vidya, or hentai.
>>
File: 1476207270378.jpg (2MB, 2700x2450px) Image search: [Google]
1476207270378.jpg
2MB, 2700x2450px
>>9778148
The Tales of Ise and the Tale of the Heike are what you're looking for as a small starting point. The latter is often referred to as the Japanese Iliad.
>>
>>9778156
fpbp
>>
>>9778167
Anon, Japanese didn't even have a writing system until hanzi (i.e. kanji) were introduced. The very Nihon Shoki is written in classical Chinese FFS.
>>
>>9778167
>>9778167
>>>9778156
>I forgot I'm also on a weeaboo forum where they think Japanese "culture" is pure anime, vidya, or hentai.
if you knew anything about japanese culture besides anime vidya and hentai you'd know "the chinese" is literally the correct answer
>>
>>9778167
>>9778245
>>9778245
The Kojiki is the earliest text with the earliest properly Japanese myths, and it's written in Chinese too.
>>
>>9778167
get fucked OP
>>
The Kojiki and Nihon Shoki are the Iliad and Odyssey of Japanese culture. Kukai is sort of the father of sophisticated philosophical discourse in Japan, so you might think of him as a Plato figure, though that's stretching the analogy a bit.

As far as more developed literature, you can then move to the Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon, which is sort of a collection of essays - what would be come perhaps the quintessential Japanese literary form. Then Tale of Genji.

Though he was basically unread until the 20th century, Dogen brought Zen to Japan, and his essays, from the 13th century, are pretty awesome.

Definitely read the Tsurezuregusa of Kenko - he's really the Montaigne figure here. Maybe also Kamo no Chomei. And just get a collection of Haiku, they all have some good Basho and Ikkyu.

If you become acquainted with all that stuff, while also reading up on the basic contours of Japanese history (which is easy because it basically starts in the 8th century), you'll have a good classical framework.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.