[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

greatly rewarding literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1430951916187.jpg (54KB, 616x675px) Image search: [Google]
1430951916187.jpg
54KB, 616x675px
what are some other authors/books similar to ulysses? that are long, complex, 'complicated', but still beautiful, genius and greatly rewarding books (preferably modernist/postmodernist)? I am a bit scared that I won't ever find a book that will have such a great effect on my as ulysses did.

*other than finnegans wake and pinecone, please

(am going to start IJ today)
>>
McElroy, Stein, Gaddis and Schmidt.
>>
>>9778102

In addition to >>9778109, Proust, Ada or Ardor, The Tunnel (Gass), Europe Central (Vollman)
>>
>>9778102
>IJ
>rewarding
it's the least rewarding slog ever written
then again you're one to mention FW casually like you've read it

screencap your thread, come back in a month, and then we can talk
>>
>>9778102
Jerusalem by Alan Moore
>>
File: 1486751090545.png (114KB, 217x320px) Image search: [Google]
1486751090545.png
114KB, 217x320px
>>9778109
>>9778302
gass and gaddis are on my to-read list, nabokov too. I've seen vollman mentioned here a few times, will look it up. any specific recommendations for mcelroy (I've only seen women and men, cannonball and a smuggler's bible posted here) and schmidt, besides bottom's dreams?

thanks
>>
>>9778102
I felt Infinite Jest was very rewarding, but I still feel I missed out on a lot. I equally enjoyed both the message of the book and the way it was written. As a stemfag, I generally understood most of what Wallace was trying to convey with his near-technobabble. However, a lot of the literary references went over my head, even with the aid of the guide on the DFW wikia. I'm going to start Ulysses after I read through a lot of the Greeks, because I do not want my ignorance to spoil an apparently amazing book.
>>
>>9778399
I would say after reading the iliad and the odyssey (in terms of greeks) you are good to read ulysses. of course, much will go over your head, and it would happen even if you went through the whole canon, you can't understand it all (there are lots of times I didn't even know it was a reference, much less what it was referencing). still, even not understading 1/10 of ulysses, it was the greatest experience I've ever read reading a book, so I say, if you are excited to read it, just do it (after the two homerics, hamlet and portrait of the artist).

I believe that there are lots in ulysses and even portrait from these:
>homer
>plato and aristotle
>the bible
>the divne comedy
>hamlet

I also believe it is worth it to re-read it from time to time, I think it is possible to notice how much you progress literature wise. I read it first time just after reading the odyssey, hamlet and a portrait. now I am on the greek plays, sophocles, and finishing the old testament. I plan on re-reading it as soon as I read plato and aristotle and finish the bible.
>>
>>9778478
Thanks anon, I'll make sure to go through those
>>
>>9778102
>long, complex, 'complicated', but still beautiful, genius and greatly rewarding books
The Book of the New Sun fits this bill perfectly
>>
Don't read McElroy. Biggest waste of time. Read Gaddis and Gass.
>>
Read the Russian Ulysses aka "Petersbourg" by Belyi
>>
>>9778839
fucking nice man, thanks a lot. never heard of it but seems great.
>>
>>9778102
You have Lezama Lima's Paradiso and the big-ass novels of Thomas Mann.
>>
File: LezamaLima.jpg (69KB, 402x570px) Image search: [Google]
LezamaLima.jpg
69KB, 402x570px
>>9778967
Forgot pic
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.