[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Madness and Civilization thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 4520345928_46134c034c_b.jpg (369KB, 616x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4520345928_46134c034c_b.jpg
369KB, 616x1024px
Anyone here read it? I ordered it, but not exactly knowing what to expect. Do I need to read any secondary literature as I read it?
>>
>>9777579
>normal people scare me ;)
>from my perspective, YOU'RE the insane one
>>
>>9777607
that cold intj stare
>>
>>9777579
IMO it's a good read once you get used to his writing style. You should have at very least a basic understanding of his philosophical and anthropological predecessors to know where he's coming from and to be able to understand the form of study he's showcasing - Nietzsche, Freud, and Marx especially of course but it also helps to have read Heidegger, Saussure, Weber, and others. However even if you've just dabbled in these, you should be fine. This book was taught to first years first semester at my university.
Keep in mind that the book is a study on the history of medical treatment of insanity and that Foucault seeks to show how the modern conception of madness evolved, not necessarily set forward some kind of philosophical treatise.
It's an interesting and rewarding book really. He uses such a wide variety of source material and approaches his topics from different directions and you'll come out with an appreciation for his method at the very least. Enjoy OP
>>
>>9777579
for what i've heard Foucault was a huge pleb in history, so buy his theories if you want, but try not to take his account of historical madness too seriously.
>>
>>9777640
>>9777579
The more you've read of his predecessors, the more you'll get out of the book, naturally, but lit's obsession with prerequisites is kind of overdone. You can always reread and think back to things you've read after you've done more reading down the line
>>
>>9777579
>Do I need to read any secondary literature as I read it?

yeah, all the rigorous archival work foucault did to back up his arguments

just kidding! there aren't any!
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.