[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christian Texts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: ICE_C-P.jpg (514KB, 900x1375px) Image search: [Google]
ICE_C-P.jpg
514KB, 900x1375px
What is the best Christian text, and why is it the Confessions of St. Augustine?

From sentence fucking one this guy starts listing scripture left and right, proving it (not proving the Trinity, proving the scriptures ffs), pointing out flaws in preachers' teachings, using casual analysis to discern the true nature of Him.

Example: You know that theoretical mathematical question "does the set of all sets contain itself?" Well, motherfuckers, this guy was asking this question about God over 1600 years ago, the fuck have you done today?

Page fucking 2: "Since, then, Thou fillest heaven and earth, do they contain Thee? Or, as the contain Thee not, dost Thou fill them, and yet there remains something over? And where dost Thou pour forth that which remaineth of Thee when the heaven and earth are filled? Or, indeed, is there no need that Thou who constainest all things shouldest be contained of any, since those things which Though fillest Though fillest by containing them?"

>spellchecker has an aneurysm after typing that
>>
>si fallor sum
>literally did Descartes before Descartes
>blew manicheism the fuck out
Can non-christians even compete?
>>
I just purchased this book. Excited to read it.
>>
Augustine never quit being a gnostic. He got famous off smuggling Neoplatonism into Christianity. Probably only converted to Catholicism for cultural reasons ("sorry, mom, I was just going through a phase")
>>
File: 20170719_145804.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_145804.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>9776777
Page 2 sounds suspiciously like your boy was plagiarizing Plotinus.
>>
File: plottybabyyeah.jpg (392KB, 1494x2656px) Image search: [Google]
plottybabyyeah.jpg
392KB, 1494x2656px
>>9777987
goddamn stupid phone WHY
>>
>>9777987
All the church fathers were heavily influenced by Greek philosophy
>>
john chrysostom and gregory palamas are fucking based
>>
>>9777924
He was never a gnostic family, he was a manichee.
>>
>>9778024
Notice, however, that Plotinus merely asks the question. Augustine puts a fly in the soup by addressing the One directly, and peppering his reasoning with praises. Superstitious barbarians ruined everything.
>>
>>9778030
Manichees are an abstract sort of gnostics. The Bible is just barely a religious text for them.

>>9777924
I sort of got this feeling too sometimes, or at least that Augustine struggled to believe some of his own arguments. I'm sure Augustine was serious about his Catholicism though.
>>
File: tr.png (225KB, 272x421px) Image search: [Google]
tr.png
225KB, 272x421px
I don't care if I sound like I shill. I love Ignatius Critical editions, I might eventually get the whole collection. I wish they had more because I want a Catholic perspective on things.
>>
>>9778070
>manichees are a type of gnostic
And you're a type of retarded.
>>
File: Capture.png (92KB, 1697x433px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
92KB, 1697x433px
>>9778082
>>
>>9778082
Not that anon but look it up faggot. They were a syncretic sect, and Mani was influenced by Bardaisan. He's not from the Coptic line, but they have the same roots in Edessa.
>>
>>9778024
Chrysostom sure as hell wasn't, he hated Greek philosphy.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.