[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AP Lit Class

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: detail_330_AP_englishLitComp.jpg (17KB, 299x235px) Image search: [Google]
detail_330_AP_englishLitComp.jpg
17KB, 299x235px
Is this course as hard as people say it is? I'm a good writer so I expect this class to be a breeze. How many books should I read for this class? or is there like 3 books that will give me that definitive 5?

I love reading, literature, and philosophy, but I'd much rather focus on other classes and deal with the college shit I have to do rather than read this year. What do you fags suggest?
>inb4 "kill yourself nigger"
>>
File: 1457996353667.jpg (131KB, 628x800px) Image search: [Google]
1457996353667.jpg
131KB, 628x800px
>>9772710
Your success in the class itself depends on the teacher. The AP test is pretty much like AP English Comp.'s.

Why would you even ask /lit/? There are dozens of other websites that have answered your question years ago.
>>
>>9772710
The courses vary from teacher to teacher. Taking the test wasn't required at my school so I was the only one to take the final exam and I got 5s on both Lit and Comp. Just read the books and don't suck at writing.
>>
>>9772710
if youre 18 and about to start your senior year then yes, because youre obviously retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (230KB, 1439x1374px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230KB, 1439x1374px
>>9773386
I don't know, anon. I've taken 15 APs, including English Language, AP Calculus BC, Physics C, Chemistry, Biology, Comparative Government, and World History, and the only exam I didn't get a 5 on was on my AP Literature exam.
>trw I got a 3
>>
File: 1497691237111.jpg (57KB, 366x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497691237111.jpg
57KB, 366x500px
>>9772710
I suggest coming back when you're 18.
>>
>>9773397
ok
>>
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>9772710
Assuming youre 18

When I took AP Lit two years ago, the test at the end of the year was easy. Its hard to fail

The actual workload was pretty easy too. Because the class is about preparing for timed essays, most of the essays you'll write will be in class. There's not a lot of difficult homework. You'll be expected to read in your spare time, but not much else
>>
AP Lit teacher here

Ask me anything
>>
>>9774957
What's your reading list? How have your previous classes done on the test? Do you consider the classes adequate preparation for college? If I considered tutoring students for the test, what would you recommend that I focus on that the classroom might not cover?
>>
>>9774976
I should have qualified my statement by saying this will be my first year teaching AP, so I don't have a necessarily applicable answer for all questions.

>What's your reading list?
I'm not 100% done with it. I've been working on it the past few weeks, but I've been changing my mind a lot. My goal is to expose the students to as varied a sampling of the literary classics as possible while covering works they'll find easy to write about on the AP exam.
Frankenstein will almost certainly be on there. Likely The Great Gatsby as well (how this group got to 12th grade without doing Gatsby is beyond me). I keep going back and forth between Hamlet and MacBeth for my token Shakespeare. Might do The Road or White Noise for something postmodern. Brave New World will probably be on there too since I normally do it with general 12th grade.

>How have your previous classes done on the test?
Not applicable since this is my first year teaching it, but in the past the students at my school have not done well which has created some apprehension, but in the past the school made zero effort to filter who enrolled in the course. If you're not going to do the work, then yeah, you're going to fail the exam. I know the group I'll have well and I see no reason why all of them shouldn't pass.

>Do you consider the classes adequate preparation for college?
In general, yes. Realistically, it depends on what your going to study. For the kids going into STEM, AP is probably a bit overboard. But it's either adequate or too much. I can't imagine any scenario where it wouldn't be enough.

>If I considered tutoring students for the test, what would you recommend that I focus on that the classroom might not cover?
It's hard to say, really. This isn't like calculus where they are X number of different topics you've got to cover. Really, the Lit exam is looking at your ability to 1) analyze poetry & prose and 2) express your analysis through organized writing.
I can't imagine what a class wouldn't cover. It's the same two skills repeated again and again until you reach mastery.
>>
Don't you have to be 18 to be here?

Sage.
>>
Don't. The AP style is pretty easy to learn. What isn't easy is unlearning it for the SAT English essay. I accidentally wrote in AP style, and lost a huge amount of points. I looked at the chart, my multiple choice score would have given me almost perfect score if I hadn't bombed the essay somehow. But, I got a 5 on the AP. I had 800 on the verbal and 600 on the writing, which was horseshit.

It literally isn't worth it. Most schools have specialized gen eds anyway and won't give a shit about your AP credit, it will go into "general credit" which is practically useless since it doesn't fulfill graduation requirements. I had to take the same intro to college writing seminar as everyone else, and it was a shit school so I managed to pass off my high school papers as brand new essays, and got straight As. Call me a cheater but the system cheated me out of 1600 dollars, I wasn't even supposed to have to take that stupid class.

On the other hand, AP classes do have a reputation of being easy As due to the teacher focusing on the test, the last two months we just did prep and didn't even cover actual material.

>inb4 my writing sucks, i've been in the real world for five years now, uni is but a nauseous memory
>>
>>9772710
The test is easy, don't let anyone convince you it isn't. The rest is up to your teacher. I spent all of the first semester shooting the shit with my junkie teacher, but they fired her by the time the second semester rolled around. During the second semester we actually had to read the books assigned to us, but even then the class was enjoyable and didn't really feel like work.

t. took 6 APs during senior year
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.