[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post books everyone who wants to be an intellectual should read.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1498699217217.jpg (18KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
1498699217217.jpg
18KB, 451x451px
Post books everyone who wants to be an intellectual should read.
>>
The stranger - Camus
The plague - Camus
>>
Anti-Oedipus
>>
File: 1500385249897.jpg (40KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500385249897.jpg
40KB, 479x720px
The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
>>
>>9772637
i thought deleuze was a meme
>>
Magic Mountain
>>
>>9772604
This is not the way to be an intellectual. The intellectual should seek out something he does not know the answer to and work from there. That's my theory, anyways. It's inefficient to just read a bunch of classic books. Work from where you are.
>>
Ficciones by borges
The rings of saturn by sebald
>>
If you're an educationlet, try this to start you off and hopefully get you into the act of thinking.

-- -- -- -- --

>/autodidact/ Core Curriculum
/autodidact/ Core Curriculum

-- --

>The Basics of Reading: Nonfiction & Fiction
How to Read a Book – Mortimer Adler
The Art of Fiction – David Lodge

>The Basics of Critical Thinking, Writing, and Learning
Creative & Critical Thinking – W. Edgar Moore (*)
The New Oxford Guide to Writing – Thomas Kane
A Mind for Numbers – Barbara Oakley

>Liberal Arts: The Theoretical Minimum
The Trivium – Sister Miriam Joseph
Pre-Calculus – Carl Stitz & Jeff Zeager
Atlas of World History – Patrick O’Brien
Western Philosophy: An Anthology – John Cottingham (*)

(*) represent things you can't find online.

-- -- -- -- --

If you're not an eductionlet, then just constantly read good stuff. Maybe read some sort of Western canon I guess? Being an intellectual is a way of being, not something that can be satisfied by any particular list of books.
>>
>If you're not an eductionlet, then just constantly read good stuff. Maybe read some sort of Western canon I guess?
Whats that western canon then? I look for that.
>>
my diary
>>
The Phenomenology of Spirit.
>>
Bible
>>
>>9772604
Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler. The title is somewhat misleading in that it is mainly concerned with a philosophy of History; of History as an unfolding of events rigorously determined according to a particular culture's prime phenomenon. Or something. In any case it's a stupendous work of scholarship.
>>
File: Helen Allingham - Betty.jpg (1MB, 980x959px) Image search: [Google]
Helen Allingham - Betty.jpg
1MB, 980x959px
>>9772604
http://explorer.opensyllabusproject.org/
>>
>>9774690
this
>>
>>9772667
it's unironically brilliant, YOU'RE the fedora for trying to avoid
>muh normie literature!!
>>
>>9772604
Hesse:
>Books, everyone, who wants to be an intellectual, should read.
>>
>>9772604
Start by The Leviathan from Thomas Hobbes, it explains why the state is a necessary evil and a bunch of other important shit
>>
The Fault in our Stars
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.